General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BikeMaster or similar floor dolly opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:55 PM
User 11821
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BikeMaster or similar floor dolly opinions

I'm considering a BikeMaster dolly to move my SG around the garage and tightly into a corner for parking in front of my car. My question is really more around this style of dolly rather than the brand.

This style dolly only goes under the back wheel and jiffy stand with the front tire on the ground. I like the idea of this type of dolly because it takes up way less room than the Harbor Freight style drive on dolly. Does anyone use a BikeMaster or one like it for their touring bike? The website shows a SG on one of it's photos but I just want to ensure this isn't a product that works best for sport bikes that can handle and maneuver a heavy touring bike without too much effort.

If anyone has a particular brand they like please leave a comment about it. I'll definitely consider other brands; I just ran across the BikeMaster and it sells for only $170 which seems really reasonable.

Old 03-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

I just watched the video.
Seems like a good idea to me.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:21 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts

I need one.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:47 AM
wraplock
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the Harbor Freight dolly. I found it used on Craig's list for $40.00 It works great.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:12 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wraplock
I've got the Harbor Freight dolly. I found it used on Craig's list for $40.00 It works great.

I have one for my wife's bike (Road King) and about to get another for mine (Road Glide). I'll be able to put all three of our bikes into one space in the garage and still have room for one of the cars.

I did have to move the sidestand tray as the stock locations were off a bit but that just meant drilling 4 new holes.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:03 AM
User 11821
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsigrist

I have one for my wife's bike (Road King) and about to get another for mine (Road Glide). I'll be able to put all three of our bikes into one space in the garage and still have room for one of the cars.

I did have to move the sidestand tray as the stock locations were off a bit but that just meant drilling 4 new holes.
The only potential issues I've read about the HF dolly is that the tray for the jiffy stand is not quite long enough for the stand to allow the bike to rest in its normal position. Have you had any concerns with this? That's was honestly my only reservation with his setup. I have a HF store about 10 minutes from my house so could easily pick one up if it works for you guys that are already using one.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:57 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts

I've read that the HF-style stand tends to lift up at the far end when you ride up on to it.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:33 PM
edson443
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably a dead thread but I will post anyway for record. I bought he Bike Master dolly for my 05 FXST. No issue getting the bike into the dolly cradle and adjusting the arm longer for the jiffy stand. The challenge is that the bike is 700 plus pounds and is difficult to maneuver and roll around the garage. I found the process of steering the bike at a lean angle to push the dolly into the corner is a real challenge. It also showed me that I had loose riser bolts. Didn't see that coming. To get the dolly moving you will want the bike in gear. I don't care for that so I have devised a way to install a wheel chock to help in moving the dolly forward. Once in place I put the bike back in neutral so it will relax the jiffy stand in place. I like it and will probably keep it. It does exactly what I need it to do. The reviews are spot on that when you receive the package in the mail it will be torn badly and falling apart. The dolly truly weighs 60lbs and breaks through the thin cardboard. The reviews also say that it is common to have pieces/parts missing. I felt lucky that for as bad as the box was damaged, all of the pieces were there. I bought it from J&P Cycles because of their return policy. This dolly is cheaper on Amazon but read up on the return policy from each supplier.

Last edited by edson443; 07-04-2018 at 03:09 PM.