General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

methanol/ethanol eats up your bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:15 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default methanol/ethanol eats up your bike

I put this on the main forum from the sportster section because I thought it might be useful info.

no its no myth dude its fact. http://www.phoenixprojectpac.us/user/Ethanol.pdf
http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/gasoctane/gasoctane.htm
http://blog.wired.com/cars/2006/10/adapter_lets_an.html
http://www.aaca.org/publications/rummagebox/98july/rb0798.htm
ethanol is highly corrosive to metals plastic rubber, engine seals and hoses.It takes a couple years to eat thro but eventually you ~WILL~ have trouble if you use it...

"Both ethanol and MTBE are different molecules than what is found in gasoline and as such act as solvents for various materials in a car's fuel system. Ethanol is a more powerful solvent than MTBE. Methanol, which was introduced to gasoline several years ago, but is no longer used. was an even more powerful solvent. Methanol would actually dissolve the paint off some car models, and owner's manuals warned that warrantees were void if methanol blended fuels were used. Several manufacturer's warned they would void warrantees for ethanol blends also".

Old 05-15-2007, 08:43 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: methanol/ethanol eats up your bike

Try to find gas without it nowadays . .

Old 05-15-2007, 08:49 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nothing new. anyone who has worked in the automotive repair business can tell you this. i work at a bmw dealer and it wreaks havoc on our vehicles. thank the eco-***** for it.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:32 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10% does nothing to vehicles. It has been around for decades, and cars on it have passed 200k miles (my parents have used it all the time). E85 requires engine mods, but once engineered for it the motors are fine. There are guys that modified their Hendersons to run on it and they have no problems. Mileage goes down about 15-20%, but you get more power from ethanol (it has higher octance than gas).

IOW, do not use E85, do not worry about E10, and if you want to use Ethanol (E85; Gasohol is E10), change out the fuel system.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:51 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe if its pure, but 10 % wont hurt squat. if your having troubles, maybe you need to replace that China rubber with some USA stuff ............just saying

Old 05-15-2007, 10:45 PM
x2lee
Banned

Nah I aint havin probs I dont burn the stuff.
Higher octane dont make the gas more powerful,
(edit) hi test and regular produce the same energy rating.
Been flying aircraft for 20 + years. High octane burns slower= less detonation.
High compression engines require higher octane to keep the engine from burning up.
Shell gas has no meth/eth theres some others, exxon is one also
whatever its your bike....

ORIGINAL: grunt

10% does nothing to vehicles. It has been around for decades, and cars on it have passed 200k miles (my parents have used it all the time). E85 requires engine mods, but once engineered for it the motors are fine. There are guys that modified their Hendersons to run on it and they have no problems. Mileage goes down about 15-20%, but you get more power from ethanol (it has higher octance than gas).

IOW, do not use E85, do not worry about E10, and if you want to use Ethanol (E85; Gasohol is E10), change out the fuel system.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:02 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In alot of high population metropolitan areas the Govt. mandates the use of Ethanol due to the pollution?

Old 05-15-2007, 11:02 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: x2lee
Nah I aint havin probs I dont burn the stuff.
Higher octane dont make the gas more powerful, it makes it weaker.
Been flying aircraft for 20 + years. High octane burns slower= less detonation.
High compression engines require higher octane to keep the engine from burning up.
Shell gas has no meth/eth theres some others exxon is one also
whatever its your bike....

ORIGINAL: grunt

Fact is Ethanol allows more power to come out of your motor. And I worry '0' about E10. Chicken Little ain't got no hold on me, because I know what is dangerous and what is not. I will not run E85, of course, but fact is E10 does NOTHING harmful to vehicles. Anyone that prints or believes otherwise is incorrect. Higher Octane allows higher compression at the same heat level, period. THAT allows more power, more advance (more power again). Been involved in racing one way or another for a lot longer than 20 years, so I know how all THAT works, too.

Fear is a terrible motivator. Facts are every vehicle on the road can be modified to run E85 with no worries. But they DO have to be modified BEFORE any attempt is made to do so. That is why mfgrs are specifying whether they can run E85.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:07 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Everything I read on the Interent is true. There is no stupidity on the Internet. If someone says it, or better yet posts it on Wiki, its true.

I'm going to drain my tanks right now. Only Shell or Exxon from now on. Got it.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 PM
BrianDamage
Cruiser

don't doubt it...we bid on wiring a new ethanol tank for the local Toyota plant....tank and all piping have to be stainless steel as it will corrode regular steel

Quick Reply: methanol/ethanol eats up your bike