General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy Hauler, I need one for 2 bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 10:20 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Toy Hauler, I need one for 2 bikes

I saw another post on a toy hauler, didnt want to hijack that post though. After making a post last week on here about needing a trailer for the bikes, and having a couple forum members offer up some deals, we ended up making a deal for one.. Now with that said. The GF has tossed out the notion of getting a toy hauler. We need something that will fit 2 bikes in the back. She really likes the floor plan that is set up with the 2 couches in the back along with the queen that comes down from the ceiling, and also has a front bedroom. We have looked at several but haven't really narrowed anything down. Anybody have any suggestions? Need to haul a road king and a slim.
Dont need a fifth wheel. would like to keep is smaller than 30ft.. Pulling it with a 2015 F150 ecoboost.

Also let me add, I know nothing about campers unfortunately. We are going to look at a Winnebago spyder this weekend. Its priced at 34k and is a 24ft. We haved looked at several others that are bigger and less expensive so Im kinda lost at the price difference unless your just paying for the name. It does have the floor plan she wants though.

Last edited by sharpshooter; 03-28-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:45 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Your main limiting factor will be the truck you tow it with. Just make sure the total weight (loaded) is within the truck's capacity. Toy haulers can get pretty heavy. Heavier than the same size camp trailer because the frames are made to support the extra weight.

Is your truck the V6 EcoBoost?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:46 AM
pdfiddler
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy yourself a more (Heavy Duty Pickup). Not enough truck. UNSAFE.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:03 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior

It is the v6 ecoboost.. towing capacity of 11500. has the trailer package on the truck brake box and everything... Like I said. Id like to stay at 24ft or less. Just need to get 2 bikes in it.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:11 AM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Mine was set up mostly for racing-24' with enclosed garage for bikes. Towed with newer Ford Expedition, which is close to the F150 (9,200 lb towing capacity Expedition). At night, can you leave the bikes outside, cause sometimes there is the smell of gasoline from the bikes.
The living area with only 24' was a little small, with a couch that folded out into a bed, so for two people it depends on what you are doing and how far you are out and for how long.
My portable Yamaha generator ran all power but you had to roll it out and set up outside. Also, only had 35 gallons of fresh water, so two people with daily showers and cooking etc, it goes fast.
Depends how much you want to spend. An on board generator inside the chassis of the rig, plenty of fresh water capacity, aluminum toy hauler (more $ but lighter so you can go 26-30 ft and still easily tow with your F150), and other bells and whistles (now many new toy haulers have slide outs), that can jack up he price way, way up.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:17 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Position the bikes as they would fit, and be able to be secured, and you can get them and you in and out. Then measure the bounding box around them...and look for a toy hauler with at least that dimension. Also, make sure the toy hauler can handle their combined weight.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:29 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 697 Likes on 359 Posts

Work-N-Paly makes a smaller hauler that's based on a cargo trailer. That gives a lower ramp angle. There are many many options and styles out there. The best thing to do is go and walk through as many as you can. When you walk through and look at floor plans, take into account where you'll put your gear/clothing.

And BTW, I would NOT haul 11k with a 1/2 ton. There are plenty of toy haulers out there in the 8k lb range. Even 8k will wear you out on a long trip with a 1/2 ton truck. That's just me tho. I'm the "get more truck than you need" guy.

New RV prices are extremely inflated. Take the MSRP and deduct 25%, that's around where you should be price wise. If not, have them throw in hitch etc...

Last edited by tas_todd; 03-28-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:38 AM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by tas_todd
Work-N-Paly makes a smaller hauler that's based on a cargo trailer. That gives a lower ramp angle. There are many many options and styles out there. The best thing to do is go and walk through as many as you can. When you walk through and look at floor plans, take into account where you'll put your gear/clothing.
Thats a good point on the ramp angle-makes going into and out of the rig a breeze. I customized my ramp with a pit pal flip down and adjustable ramp supports to make an easy transition in and out for bikes.
Mine is a PlayMor-Very well constructed. 5400 lbs, with bikes and load never got over 7,000 or so, so was well under my 9,200 max. Also upgraded to heavier load rating tires, and Expedition has anti sway and tow/haul option. Tows it no sweat...

Last edited by PWMORRIS; 03-28-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:52 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior

No intentions of getting near that 11500 capacity lol. Ideally Id like to have the trailer weight and bikes come in around 8k. Bikes weigh about 1500 lbs. Like I said, Im new to the camper scene. So I have no clue on some things.. Not keen on the new truck option either lol.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:03 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
No intentions of getting near that 11500 capacity lol. Ideally Id like to have the trailer weight and bikes come in around 8k. Bikes weigh about 1500 lbs. Like I said, Im new to the camper scene. So I have no clue on some things.. Not keen on the new truck option either lol.
Don't sweat it-your new F150 will handle the job easily. The new chassis' and tow technology of these new vehicles is amazing.
That said, the lighter the better on the toy hauler (aluminum is the ticket). So, you can go 26-28 ft or so and get more space and more features without upgrading to a larger truck.
Win/win but more $.

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler, I need one for 2 bikes