General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotator cuff surgery and riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 01:29 PM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rotator cuff surgery and riding

Found out a few months back I need rotator cuff surgery. I have been putting it off so I can ride as much as possible in riding months and get my business in order with clients. The pain stinks, which for me is weird because I can usually handle a lot of pain. This never stops and sleeping is damn near non existent. I was going to push it another couple of months to get some more riding in but now riding is more of an issue.

Curious if any of you had the surgery and what to expect (time wise) about getting back on the bike so I can plan it out. The doc says I have to wear a sling for 4 to 6 months w / eight weeks of rehab 3 times a week. Is that about right or is he exaggerating?

Old 03-30-2016, 02:27 PM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

I had it done in 2007. It's important to have a good doctor at a good hospital. I had three tendons completely torn. It was really hurting. Had it done at Columbia Presbyterian in NYC. Excellent doctor, hospital. Had the sling on for Three months. Recovered pretty fast after that. 9 years later I'm still good.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:38 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,742 Likes on 3,509 Posts

Partial tear, sling for 6 weeks, then physio.

Old 03-30-2016, 02:46 PM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I can't contribute much but I wish you a successful surgery and speedy recovery

Old 03-30-2016, 02:55 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 453 Posts

Don't sweat it. I've had three surgeries on my right shoulder over the years, and now I have 2 more tears in the same shoulder now. It's gonna hurt like hell, I won't kid you on that, but it will all be a memory soon, and you'll be glad you did it. Physical therapy is key, along with the stretching movements. Do your PT wether you are at the clinic or not. I can't stress the importance of doing it every chance you get. If you want range of motion back, you have to do it. You ain't gonna like it, but it's necessary.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:02 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

Doc had me completely bound up for about a month. Finally cut the stuff off and started rehab for about 2-3 mos. I was off the bike for about 6 wks or so. As far as pain after surgery not much for me. Rehab was easy as well. I am a woodturner. Before and after surgery I had some numbness in my rt hand and pain in my rt shoulder. The hand is about the same and shoulder pain is hit and miss. I would do it again if necessary but for me the results were marginal. Riding the bike for hrs is no problem. My advice would be to do it asap. Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:12 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

I don't remember how long I wore a sling, but I assure you it was NO WHERE near 4 to 6 months. My best recollection was maybe 3 to 4 weeks. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure I was done with PT in less than 1 month [admittedly, at my insistence]. I also recall taking some flack from my ortho when he discovered I had helped my son do some interior painting within the month following my surgery. Although it is speculation that the painting may have caused problems, considering the same shoulder is now slightly bothering me approx 5-6 years post-surgery, I probably would not do that again.

Overall, it sounds to me that your doc is being overly cautious; but I still wouldn't suggest not following his recommendations. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:56 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

The only thing I can tell you to follow your doctors. My buddy had both shoulders done at different times. Both were in terrible shape. On one it was 5 mons. On the other, he didn't take it easy & tore it up. He just has surgery again & he'll never be without pain & proper movement.

Old 03-30-2016, 04:34 PM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I appreciate it guys. Sounds like if I have it next month I might be able to get some riding in in the fall.

Doc said I have a full or complete tear. Said he is going to grind down some bone spurs (sounds like spurs are somewhat standard). Said he won't know until he gets inside the degree of the torn tendons and spurs etc. Said it's going to look like spaghetti hanging. Might also have to do a long incision on my upper arm. Again won't know until he gets inside.

One thing that stinks is I am in recovery (24 years clean) so I'm not cool with pain meds. I will get off them immediately but I understand the pain is pretty intense (especially PT). I don't want that crap (narcotics) in my system any longer than I have to.

I'm a solo guy so this is going to get interesting. It is what it is. I hear you have to sleep in a chair. THAT sux. I also hear to get slide on shoes and big *** shirts to put on. Doc said maybe "in 6 weeks I might be tapping on a keyboard" so it sounds like buttoning jeans isn't going to be great for the first few weeks.

As John Lennon said "life is what happens while you are busy making other plans".

Last edited by NYC.streetkid; 03-30-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:06 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had both shoulders done tears ,bone spurs ,something with my bicep muscles. Both times I was in sling for about a month , slept in recliner for a couple of nights maybe .There is some pain . You must do the PT very important . Took 6 months until I was totally pain free but I could ride after a short period ( month or two ) . Really depends on what the Doc finds when he gets in there. Everyone heals differently so be patient . Good Luck

Quick Reply: Rotator cuff surgery and riding