General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering my replacement windshield.... what tint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 06:37 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Ordering my replacement windshield.... what tint?

A giant hunk of debris took out my current windshield. Saved my A$$!!! But I now need a new shield. I always use Long Ride Shields, as not only are they a forum sponsor, but I have had good luck with them and their customer service in the past. I want to try a tinted version for my Road King this time, and I also want to go short!

LRS claims their 16' shield is in reality, only 15.5 inches. So at six feet, I can easily look over it. BUT... I still look threw the thing as a practical matter. So my question is, what tint level do most riders prefer. Long Ride Shields offers a light, medium, and dark tint. At least IMHO, the dark LOOKS the best. Especially since my bike is partially painted black and has a lot of chrome. And I do do a ton of night riding.

I would love to hear from folks who have tried different tints, especially the darker ones on shorter shields like a 15.5. Are the dark tints a non issue at night? Can you see right over or threw them, or are the medium and light tinted windshields the only safe/smart option on a 15.5" windshield? Please opine with advise.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:01 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,628 Likes on 3,212 Posts

At 6 foot 2 I can easily see over the 15.5" LRS shield. I went with the light tint and it was darker than I thought it would be. I ride some at night too so I wouldn't want it any darker.

Are you getting the Road King Elite shield? It's the premium polycarbonate one.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:18 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Dark!!!

Old 03-31-2016, 07:24 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I went with light tint. It's a little darker than stock, but not too dark. Personally, I won't go any darker than their medium tint.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:44 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,847 Likes on 2,804 Posts

For the average person medium tint will suffice.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:07 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
I went with the light tint and it was darker than I thought it would be. I ride some at night too so I wouldn't want it any darker.
I agree with Dyna, I bought one my for Reckless Fairing and per LRS's recommendations I went with the light tint.

I'm damn glad I didn't go with the medium or dark tint because at night I think anything darker than the light tint would be hard to see through if needed.
The dark probably would look cooler, but frankly I'd rather see what's in front of me.

Note that as long as you don't take the plastic off the shield LRS will exchange it for free.

I'm not sure if it will help but below is a couple of pictures of my "light tint" LRS.

The second picture is looking through the shield with standard low beam headlight in a total dark garage.

Last edited by Bluraven; 03-31-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:24 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks guys! Now I am totally leaning towards the medium tint. It's funny. LRS DOES NOT offer a medium tint option for all their windshields. But the Road King is certainly one of the bikes they do.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:14 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dynamick

Are you getting the Road King Elite shield? It's the premium polycarbonate one.
Probablly getting the standard shield again. Although you would think I would have learned after I busted my last standard shield!

Old 04-01-2016, 08:18 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,353 Likes on 2,200 Posts

I bought the medium tint shield of the same height for my old Heritage. I loved it! LRS Stuff was awesome.. On my 2015 RK, I did by the HD shield and I find it perfect.. The medium tint , for me, was the way to go

Old 04-01-2016, 08:27 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I went for the medium tint on my Limited. Looks great on a black bike. Would not want it any darker.

Quick Reply: Ordering my replacement windshield.... what tint?