General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supermegs? are these the best bet for a quiet(er) aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Supermegs? are these the best bet for a quiet(er) aftermarket?

So I am looking to put a 2-1 on my Heritage and I don't want loud pipes. I don't mind them being a little louder than stock but they need to be far from "hey, look at me". A little deeper rumble would be nice.

I am looking to improve the performance a bit by letting the bike breath a little better.

While we are at it I will take any suggestions for a classically styled round air cleaner as well.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:22 PM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kayakguy
So I am looking to put a 2-1 on my Heritage and I don't want loud pipes. I don't mind them being a little louder than stock but they need to be far from "hey, look at me". A little deeper rumble would be nice.

I am looking to improve the performance a bit by letting the bike breath a little better.

While we are at it I will take any suggestions for a classically styled round air cleaner as well.
I was looking for the same thing and ended up with a Bassani Road Rage. I went and checked out a forum member's RR and it was exactly what I was hoping for. Turns out he had the longer model and I got the short megaphone model. It is louder then the longer one. However I would not trade it for the world. It's louder but not obnoxious at idle. However it can get loud when you accelerate. I just like to get out of my neighborhood without too much racket. After that I don't care (except when I am in residential/pedestrian populated areas) and even when it's loud it's not straight drag pipe loud. Cruising down the road it has a nice deep rumble that is pleasing, not obnoxious.

What I will recommend is either find someone around events that has a supermeg (or any other exhaust you are interested in) and hear it in person. Or seek a local on the forums here to meet up with. YouTube videos will not give you a real idea of the volume. You need to hear it for yourself.

As for a classically styled A/C look at DK Customs. They're a sponsor on the forum.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:53 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I would check Fuel Moto out as well. They have an E-series muffler that is tunable just like the Supertrapp.

I had the Supertrapp, and while no where near as loud as my D&D Fatcat, it was still much louder than stock. Hearing one on someone else's bike, I found, is way different than listening to it drone in your ear for miles on the highway.

Maybe it's just me, but all that sound coming out of one side of the bike just sounds harsh. I much prefer the dual exhaust. The only reason I bring it up is you mentioned performance. If you get the 2/1/2 Jackpot and E-series, you'll have quiet and power.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:00 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,736 Likes on 3,505 Posts

If you could go down to the HD dealer on the weekend or something, you could check out what other people are using and hear them yourself?

Not familiar with Supermegs, don't know how they sound but when I think of super megaphones, quiet is not the first thing that pops into my head fwiw

Old 04-04-2016, 07:55 PM
Texas5858
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just did the Rinehart 2 into 1 on my Heritage. The 4' muffler gives a nice deep low rumble such as you get with the touring bikes.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:58 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roussfam
If you could go down to the HD dealer on the weekend or something, you could check out what other people are using and hear them yourself?

Not familiar with Supermegs, don't know how they sound but when I think of super megaphones, quiet is not the first thing that pops into my head fwiw
Yea, it doesn't sound quiet. But I hear they are. Especially because you can tune them for that very purpose. You likely give up some performance though.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:38 PM
jbfb
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas5858
I just did the Rinehart 2 into 1 on my Heritage. The 4' muffler gives a nice deep low rumble such as you get with the touring bikes.
I also just put on the Rinehart 2-1, on my FatboyLo. I don't think it's THAT much louder than the stock exhaust but it does have a throatier lower sound. Which I like. And I put on a Arlen Ness Big Sucker (stage 1) AC. Exposed filter with a simple black cover. I like that a lot also. Got em both from Fuel Moto at a great price (well, and with a PowerVision. They have a sweet deal if you buy all three from them, AC/exhaust/tuner.)

Old 04-05-2016, 01:10 PM
60wt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I"m runnin supertrapp 2 into1 on a RK with closed end cap 20 discs, you get some bark when twisting the wick, but when cruseing the freeway all I hear is the motor..
also depending on your tuning device if not adjustible, adding/subtracting discs does make a difference you can feel with torque...not to mention a nice pipe..

Old 04-05-2016, 04:30 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

You should listen to the Supermeg before you buy one. The disc/cap setup produces a very distinct "1971 Super Beetle" sound. Some people like or don't mind it, it drove me nuts when I had Fatshotz.

I haven't heard the E-Series mufflers or 2:1, but I'd imagine they have the same sort of sound due to their design.