General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for an update

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 09:51 PM
iceman336
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Time for an update

Hello to all my Brothers and Sisters who gave me so much needed support over the past 3 - 1/2 years! It's time to give y'all an update on my recovery! (Those of you who are curious can click on the links below).

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...us-update.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...did-me-in.html

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=471603

I'm thrilled to advise that I have ditched the cane, the AFO (assisted foot orthodic), the leg brace, and am walking unassisted freely and easily! I've gone and done what they said can't be done!!!! My hands are fully functional and the nerves are still regenerating after 42 months! I'm still getting stronger and faster!

I've taken the "pay it forward" attitude and done a lot with it in the past year. I got together with the Chief Surgeon at the hospital I was in (he rides as well and we go riding together) and the administrators. Together, we have created a pilot program that just received gov't funding on a trial basis. Victims of major trauma are now treated with a multitude of various forms of assistance from the day they emerge from the ICU. Patients and their families are, while still subjected to 5 AM visits from the surgeons while on rounds, getting an uninterrupted 45 minute sitdown in the room with a surgeon once per week to have all their questions answered, their concerns aired, and a decent progress report. This was something I really pushed for as I felt I was left in the dark too many times during my stay. In addition, patients have access to a number of psychologists who are donating time and expertise to help them deal with the emotional fallout, access to social workers who have had additional training in accessing support programs to help pay the bills and keep the fridge full while in recovery, and (my personal favorite) access to a number of volunteer mentors who can honestly say that they've lain in that same bed with the same fears and questions running through their minds.

No one knows what it's honestly like unless you've been there. Things are set up to follow the patient right through to the rehab hospital and beyond for a period of one year. I'm a founder for the mentoring program and I can honestly say I've seen people who have given up - whose eyes are dull and listless - come back to life again. They've gained the drive and determination not to let their predicament beat them. My best result to date: a young man who went underneath a loaded tractor- trailer and was run over. Major trauma...and I was at the finish line when he completed his first ever triathalon. The worst: I sat with a 56 year old man in my arms as the docs announced that they couldn't save his leg and it would have to come off. Between myself and a few others, we've got him back up and riding again.

I also made friends with the media. What started as a BS session had now turned into a major project for promoting motorcycle awareness. I'm happy to have played a role in that.

As you can tell, I'm still not working and the medical restrictions I have ensure that I never will, but I'm not letting it slow me down. Thanks to friends in my RC, I spent the last 2 years on 3 wheels. Last night, I closed the deal on a new bike - with no conversion done. I'm strong enough now to get up on 2! I have one more major surgery ahead of me, but I'm damned it I'm going to let it slow me down!

Finally, a few more pics from my surgeon buddy. These are from the first hours after the bird landed and they started working on me. Once again, I have to say thank you to all the HDF family who kept me going when the nights got long. I'm sure that I will be seeing more than a few of you in the winds as I stretch my wings and twist that throttle!

Attached Thumbnails Time for an update-_27.2.jpg   Time for an update-left-wrist.jpg   Time for an update-right-wrist.jpg   Time for an update-img_0493.jpg   Time for an update-img_0386.jpg  

Last edited by iceman336; 04-07-2016 at 10:11 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by iceman336:
0maha (04-08-2016), an Uncouth Barbarian (04-08-2016), indiandave (04-08-2016), Redoilokie (04-11-2016), Super08 (04-11-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 12:07 AM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Great news iceman336. Good to see ya out riding.....

Trucky911

Old 04-08-2016, 12:28 AM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 27,631 Likes on 9,198 Posts

Outstanding...amazing what human drive and determination can accomplish

Old 04-08-2016, 12:31 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,422 Likes on 5,534 Posts

Glad to learn that you have come so far and have been able to construct some good out of it for you, and for folks going through the same trauma.

As they say, "Make lemonade.", and it appears that you have done so.

Best to you and yours.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:54 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

You have the right attitude. Good luck with your recovery! I think the right mental outlook is very important in a situation like yours.

The following users liked this post:
iceman336 (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 05:06 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Great to hear that you up and around!

Old 04-08-2016, 06:39 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,249 Likes on 6,009 Posts

excellent! sounds like your lemonade is pretty sweet! good luck! and be careful out there!

Old 04-08-2016, 06:54 AM
Trial dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iceman,
An inspiring story. I defend doctors including a lot of surgeons and there are three things that really resonate with me:
1. The time and effort the physicians put into their work are exemplified by the 50 plus straight hours of surgery they performed on you. I know there are folks with horror stories related to medical care but there are many dedicated and very hard working health care professionals.
2. Your comments about working to get doctors to stop and give the one on one time with patients. So important. So often doctors feel too busy to give that time to the patient and don't appreciate how important that time (above and beyond the actual surgery, making decisions on treatment, medications etc.) really is. Thanks for becoming involved and vocal about making that positive change.
3. The determination of others and you to recover and not let your injuries define you. Unfortunately too often in today's world folks don't have that attitude and instead wallow in their own misery. I'm sure those moments still exist but determination like you have shown goes a long way in recovery.
I can appreciate that you still have a long road ahead and that you will always bear the scars of this accident outside and inside but seeing someone rise up and actually get involved to make things better, to use this tragic event as a springboard to do good is inspiring.
Thanks.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:16 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

You are an inspiration to us all.

Make sure you post pics of the new bike soon as you get it. I wanna see that huge smile!

Bless you Iceman.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:44 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,783 Likes on 6,213 Posts

Almost lost my leg as well...When people ask if I still ride, I tell them "They'll have to hit me a lot harder than that" to keep me from it. Good for you.

Quick Reply: Time for an update