General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POS HD Digital Dipstick...unreliable & inaccurate

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:56 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts
Default POS HD Digital Dipstick...unreliable & inaccurate

I've always thought my TriGlide ran hot. This is based upon my seat of the pants, as well as what my POS digital dipstick was telling me that temperatures ran as high as 290 and as much as 300 in hot weather traffic, as read on the digital dipstick. So, to reduce the temperatures I added the Wards fans and the Jagg 10 row oil cooler with fan. These additions, with both fans kept the temperature around 260.

Then two weeks ago, the digital dipstick crapped out. So, rather than spending another $150 on a new digital dipstick, a bought the fairing mounted oil temperature gauge that replaces the ambient air temperature guage.

My first few short rides led me to believe the new guage was reading low. Then today a did a ride, with the fans off, that typically resulted in temperature on the digital dipstick of 260 or there a about.. But, on today's ride the fairing mounted guage never read above 230. So, I thought...crap...what a POS...the new guage is reading low.

But...alas...I decided to check out how far off the new guage was reading. So, I sneaked my wife's candy thermometer ( that I had previously validated the accuracy) out to the garage, and stuck it in the dipstick hole. Voila!!! After several readings, the new fairing mounted guage was reading nearly dead on with the candy thermometer.

Conclusions:
- the new fairing mounted oil temperature guage is dead on accurate
- my TriGlide is running 30 degrees F cooler than I had thought
- the digital dipstick is a POS, as it is unreliable and inaccurate.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Inexpensive temp gauges have a bad reputation for reliable and accurate readings, so do pressure gauges. You can buy identical gauges and get a way differnt reading on each. I can't tell you how many cooking probes I've been through trying to find one that is reasonable accurate. I hate overcooked fish and chicken. But rare chicken is kinda risky too!

However, using the boiling water test will tell you if your gauge is close. I have a digital hand held pyrometer in my tool chest, that uses a variety of probes for different purposes. I know that is accurate to within a half degree up to 1500° because it was calibrated. So, rather than a bike mounted gauge, I'll take my engines temp right after a ride. The engine is heat soaked, and unless I coast in, it's not gonna lose more than 10° once I turn into my neighborhood.

My Deluxe runs close to what you gauged yours at on a summer day, between 220 and 230°. My Triumph Bonnevile......damn that thing runs hot. 260-280°. Triumph says that's normal.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:48 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

When I bought my 07 Street Glide there was one of those digital dipstick already on it. After a few months the batteries apparently went dead on it and when I tried to change them the cap broke off. It was never accurate so I didn't bother to replace it with another digital one.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:53 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

So...what are you going to do with your POS dipstick now?

Old 04-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
So...what are you going to do with your POS dipstick now?
Maybe use it to bbq some chikin?

Old 04-12-2016, 07:01 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Note to self, don't eat any candy at Trigeezer's house.,,,,

Old 04-12-2016, 08:03 PM
madsonp
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Note to self, don't eat any candy at Trigeezer's house.,,,,
Yeah, it's got an oil taste to it.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:21 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

I have one I took out when I got my Powervision. The battery died & I didn't see the point in replacing it. Don't know if it's accurate or not.

I tried to give it away for the price of shipping on the forums here.... no one would take it.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the links below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 04-12-2016, 08:29 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

I had one on my Slim and I had a hard time telling if it was running high or not. To make a long story short I checked it at 50 deg increments across the whole range with traceable standards at it was reading high along a curve - pretty close (within 5 - 10 deg) at the upper and lower ends of the scale and up to a maximum of 57 deg high at a true temp of 290.

Ended up checking one off a friend's bike and it read high with similar results.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:39 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Maybe use it to bbq some chikin?
That's just wrong.

Quick Reply: POS HD Digital Dipstick...unreliable & inaccurate