General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racedeck Bike Pad

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 06:23 PM
TRMN8TR
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Racedeck Bike Pad

My wife got me an early bday present. Pretty cool, 4'x8' pad for the bike

Attached Thumbnails Racedeck Bike Pad-image.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
Vzguy (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 06:53 PM
FatKen
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Thats nice, would be nice when working on the bike to kneel on. I assume the dealer sells them?

Old 04-12-2016, 07:00 PM
TRMN8TR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FatKen
Thats nice, would be nice when working on the bike to kneel on. I assume the dealer sells them?
I found it on some website for $194 bucks

Old 04-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

Love that Racedeck look.
Quality product and creates a nice place to park and work on the bike.

I started out to do the same thing and then found a local product that was a little cheaper than Racedeck.
As with a lot of things I started off with a small project and it evolved into a a big project.

I ended up doing my entire garage and have zero regrets.

Last edited by Bluraven; 04-12-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:42 AM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I am moving into a new house shortly and am debating about doing this on the floor before we move in when it is easiest to install (no clutter).

I am concerned with it sounding plasticiky and clicking when walked on as well as footprints/tires tracking onto a dark color.

Any feedback?

Old 04-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Di
I am moving into a new house shortly and am debating about doing this on the floor before we move in when it is easiest to install (no clutter).

I am concerned with it sounding plasticiky and clicking when walked on as well as footprints/tires tracking onto a dark color.

Any feedback?
First off I considered the epoxy flooring but frankly that product is best put down before you move in, is time consuming to install and it doesn't provide for any insulation between the concrete and the surface so other than the look and perhaps easier cleanup I don't think it provides much more.
I went with floor tiles due to ease of installation, look, and insulation from the concrete floor in the wintertime.

The downside of the floor tiles; they are more expensive and they do have the potential to break since they are plastic.
To cover the breakage I purchased about an extra 20 sq/ft of tiles for future replacement needs.
In about 8 months no tiles have broken.

I can't speak of the Racedeck since as I mentioned previously I went with a cheaper local product.

However I split my garage into three areas. (I have a two car garage with one side as a tandem being 33' deep)
A work shop/office area, a parking area for my Wife's car and a work/man cave/bike parking area.

In the office area I put down laminate flooring.

On the Wife's side I installed a grid tile system that allows for water to drain through and under the floor. (note that I'm located in Nebraska).
This worked well and drained exactly as I had hoped it would.

The grid portion of the floor does not make any sounds while walking on it.
I think this is the case due to it being a grid tile and not a solid tile.

It's not that bad, however the solid tile area does have a "plastic/hollow" sound when walking on it.
I've read someplace that putting down tar paper or some other type of under layment helps with this .
I've been thinking about maybe this summer of pulling up the flooring and putting down perhaps some foam under layment. (under the solid tiles of course)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_113768-46598-A62530___

I think this might help with the sound but probably will not eliminate it.
If I do it I'll try to remember to add another comment to this thread.

As for footprints/tire tracking.
I don't notice anything on the grid side but on the solid tiles just like any other flooring it does need to be swept and mopped occasionally.
I bought a nice mop bucket and mop and just give it a quick once over about once every month. But it's not that bad.

Below is a pic of the grid and solid tiles.
Note that on the grid side I can pull up the entire 8'X16' section as a whole section and slide it out into the driveway for cleaning underneath the grid.
Once the floor is swept up, I just simple slide the entire section back into the garage and snap down the perimeter.
The whole process takes me about 30 minutes.

As for the cost; I spent about $700 for an area of about 450 sq/ft with about 20 sq/ft of spare tiles.
As for installation time; with a clear floor it took me two hours to install the entire 450 sq/ft.

Note that the solid tiles were on clearance and I got them for at a bargain price.

Last edited by Bluraven; 04-13-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:16 AM
Sw1
Road Captain
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

does the edge have a nice transition so you can roll a jack on and off it?

Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 PM
TRMN8TR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sw1
does the edge have a nice transition so you can roll a jack on and off it?
Yes, and that's exactly what I need to verify

Old 04-13-2016, 06:11 PM
TRMN8TR
Cruiser

This is the floor in my garage at the other home I own. I went with a commercial grade VCT tile (same stuff used in Walmart for example) that is installed with flooring adhesive, so kinda permanent.
Looking back I will NEVER install this flooring again. Don't get me wrong, it looks killer but the upkeep is crazy, I think I'd have to hire a professional crew to burnish and polish the floor. Not to mention if it gets wet it's like ice.
The Racedeck type flooring seems like the way to go even though it's kinda pricey and "clacky".
Here's a few pics of my other garage

Old 04-13-2016, 06:12 PM
TRMN8TR
Cruiser

Here are more

Quick Reply: Racedeck Bike Pad