General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding music

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Acemechanic
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding music

I have been looking for a good solution to listening to music while riding. I have tried listening to music with ear buds connected to an mp3 player. This was uncomfortable and hard to hear at highway speeds & too loud riding in city traffic. I have also tried connecting my cell phone via Bluetooth too my Scala Rider intercom headset. This just flat out didn't work at all. My next attempt is to mount my Altec Lansing Bluetooth wireless water proof speaker to my handlebar or downtube of the frame. My only concern is if I will be able to hear it during city & highway riding. If this doesn't work out I may just bite the bullet and get a motorcycle specific music speaker system. Does anyone have the MTX motorcycle Bluetooth speaker? Are you happy with it? I want to be 100% sure its going to what I want before laying down $400.00 + shipping. Is it worth the money?

Old 04-12-2016, 07:05 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Was helmet too tight on your earbuds?
I feel like if you didn't like the sound with buds, you'll hate speakers. I would.
But they sell a bunch of em.

I use ear buds / Clip mp3 player.. I like that combo alot and player is tactile for me to mess with
By touch. If I'm using gps, I use phone for music/gps and same earbuds..

We have 3-4 BT laying around here.. None fit me well enough

One thing that helps sound alot :: run your collection thru "Mp3 Gain" to normalize and raise volume for all songs to the same DB determined by you, w/o clipping.. You will have more volume control at all speeds..
Sansa Clip Is cheap, awesome versatile.. Plays bout all formats w/several directory structures...

Last edited by amkaos; 04-12-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:35 PM
keithl3030
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried the cheep mp3,s and buds all sounded like crap, got a I-pod and a good set of ear buds with volume control couldn't be happier.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:38 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Music when I'm writing is a big no-no. I can't concentrate on what I'm looking at and the goofballs out there and so I won't have music when I'm riding. It's really distracting

Old 04-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,654 Likes on 6,678 Posts

I like to hear the engine. That's music to my ears.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:02 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by keithl3030
I tried the cheep mp3,s and buds all sounded like crap, got a I-pod and a good set of ear buds with volume control couldn't be happier.
I myself couldn't disagree too hard with ipod. I have 4. Iirc, the latest couple can normalize.. Now they mainly serve as library backup.. Sound is for sure no better than my Clips ... Clip plays more formats etc.. Batt life is way better..they cheap enough, I acci drowned one in the ocean and no big loss... Blah blah blah..

Personal circumstantial preference

Last edited by amkaos; 04-12-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:12 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

LG Tone Bluetooth earbuds.
The Tones are the ones that wrap around your neck and the wires and buds extend up to your ears and retract when not in use.
Very good at blocking noise.
Don't have to turn it up all the way to hear the music. They are loud when cranked up.
Long battery life of about 10 hours.

In the past I've used Skull Candy, Beats buds, Apple, Sharper Image and various other cheaper sets and sets I can't remember.
Of all those the Sharper Image are absolutely the best at blocking out noise, but the battery life totally sucks.

The New version of LG Tone are the best I've used.

An important factor to be aware of when looking for something to wear under a helmet is to make sure the controls (volume and advance/rewind/pause) are far enough down on the cord to be below the helmet or you can't get to them. Another reason I like the Tones, the controls are on the main piece around my neck.

On a long run, I may never turn the music on, but I use it strategically. If/when I hit the wall, music gives me my second wind.

Last edited by Jonesee; 04-12-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:26 PM
Acemechanic
6th Gear

I have a Samsung S3 cell phone that has been serving me well. Very happy with the way it works. I use the cell phone and my Altec Lansing mini life jacket bluetooth speaker at work. I am an automotive tech and this works very well in the shop. I can hear it over all the shop noise such as air compressor, Air tools, Vehicles running ect. I figured that since I already own it I may as well try it. I would rather spend $100 on another Altec lansing speaker than $400 on something that may or may not work. I am not a sound expert by any means but I think that once this combo is out in the wide open It may not have enough punch to hear it over my pipes. I can't find specs that are comparible to the MTX unit. The MTX unit is 150Watts and puts out 113db's this seems compairible to a stock street glide stereo. I should also mention that I want to be wireless with audio transfered VIA bluetooth.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Acemechanic
6th Gear

The MTX unit is the black unit. I can't stand the chrome bullet speakers.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:41 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior

For BT, I do have an LG.
I like it alot but my ear holes are small. Most buds won't stay in well..
And i think the Batt life isn't that great..
I have thought to deconstruct it to some buds that fit me well.. cords are a PITA.

Quick Reply: riding music