General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 10:00 PM
DCortez
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie questions

Have a couple of sons, interested in bikes, 19 and 23, new riders.

How much bike is too much bike, are ABS brakes worth it (can't find stopping info), how much off msrp is a decent deal, any downside to engine guards and lighted led mirrors?

Looking at a Fat Bob and Softail Slim.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:15 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

What's their riding experience?

ABS is worth it, but doesn't replace proper braking skills.

Any off msrp is a good deal lol. Many dealers get over msrp. It's Silly.
I'd say find a dealer who will play ball. Also ask for some riding equipment or gift card. They love those because it's cheaper as the markup is so big.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:19 PM
DCortez
Stage III

Zero riding experience. We looked at other manufacturers and think HD offers the best quality.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:22 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Personally I think lighter bikes are the way to start. However on here there are lots of fellows who start out on big bikes. It isn't that you can't learn to ride on a big bike but I do feel it slows your learning curve. Regardless as many others will suggest start with a class and have a good foundation to build on.

ABS brakes. Well I see them as an asset. Though I ride like I don't have ABS. In fact only my Softail does. It is that extra little insurance to help out when all else fails. You still need to practise correct braking habits.

Engine guards on Harleys are good for low speed falls such as in a parking lot. They can save some serious money if they ever have the occasion to be used. I want some for my Heritage foundation looks and the ability to put a cover on them in colder weather more than for protection from falls.

One last thought. I started on a 96 sportster Custom brand new when I was 19. I was very responsible and careful and never wrecked that bike. But honestly I can't imagine starting out on a 15-20k bike now. I don't know if that means I have just gotten to be a bit grumpy as I got older or perhaps I just have gotten a little smarter and realize how fortunate I was to not have any incidents while learning.

Whichever way you go I wish you good fortune and safe riding.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:34 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Softails have a lower center of gravity than just about any other Harley and the seats are lower to the ground as well. If your boys are co-ordinated enough (only you know this) and mature enough, there is no reason to not start on a Harley. You'll get many opinions on this in here, though. Buy some decent used bikes so the worry of wrecking a brand new bike isn't so great. And they should take rider's classes.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2016, 10:39 PM
DCortez
Stage III

My first bike cost me $600 back in 83 or so. Kids these days have got it made, lol.

Should have added, my sons are both 6' and slender. Dealer is offering to throw in a two day driving course.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Old 04-22-2016, 10:51 PM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Softail Slims have a very low center of gravity but still have full-sized frames and engine/trans. They are available with both ABS and cruise. Nice features on a Softail.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:15 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Take the rider safety course before you make any decisions. They usually supply the bikes. JR

Old 04-23-2016, 05:56 AM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

How much bike is too much bike, are ABS brakes worth it (can't find stopping info), how much off msrp is a decent deal, any downside to engine guards and lighted led mirrors?

Looking at a Fat Bob and Softail Slim.[/QUOTE]

I am a firm believer in ABS brakes for that 'oh chit' moment. Proper braking is still essential though, and comes with practice, practice, practice. Even after all the experience I have on 2 wheels, the ABS kept the bike up and straight allowing me to do some quick maneuvers at the last minute, thus preventing laying it down and/or hitting the rear end of a car a few months back when I screwed up.
A young person in good physical shape should be able to handle either of the 2 bikes you mention as first bikes. The key will to be get some training and once again practice.
Engine guards and any extra lights will be a plus. I would consider some extra lights on the rear end for the Houston area.
Price? There are a bunch of Harley dealers in the Houston Metro area, so shop around for the best deal.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:06 AM
AGSURFR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Take the class first. Check your local community college for MSF basic course.

Gear. Helmet, boots, gloves and some type of jacket. I understand the cool factor of not wearing gear but get it.

Unless you are hard set on a new bike shop around. Lots of low mileage bikes around with some of the Harley tax already paid.

Quick Reply: newbie questions