General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coating Exhaust Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 06:36 PM
Deluxe_16
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Ceramic Coating Exhaust Pipes

I have recently installed V&H True Dual Exhaust on my Softail Deluxe. They sound great and I have noticed the bike being woke up a bit in the power department. However, I have run into an issue, being that I have short legs, that my left leg, when stopped, falls across a little bit of the pipe. Sort of gets a little hot. I have tried exhaust wrap and it does not help. I have found a product from DEI: DEI Onyx Series Flexible Heat Shield. From what I can tell will stand off the heat shield and deflect the heat. I consider this a bandaid but if it helps not getting burned while stopped, I will take it.

I friend of mine did suggest this morning ceramic coating the pipes. Something that I did not think about or familiar with. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with ceramic coating the pipes and what was the result of heat reduction? Any pictures would be great.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2016, 08:30 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

My Samson Hell Raisers came ceramic coated from the factory ($100 extra). I know that when I'm done riding they cool quickly. I'd recommend ceramic if heat dissipation is the goal.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:15 PM
Coat-This
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deluxe_16
I have recently installed V&H True Dual Exhaust on my Softail Deluxe. They sound great and I have noticed the bike being woke up a bit in the power department. However, I have run into an issue, being that I have short legs, that my left leg, when stopped, falls across a little bit of the pipe. Sort of gets a little hot. I have tried exhaust wrap and it does not help. I have found a product from DEI: DEI Onyx Series Flexible Heat Shield. From what I can tell will stand off the heat shield and deflect the heat. I consider this a bandaid but if it helps not getting burned while stopped, I will take it.

I friend of mine did suggest this morning ceramic coating the pipes. Something that I did not think about or familiar with. I was wondering if anyone was familiar with ceramic coating the pipes and what was the result of heat reduction? Any pictures would be great.

Thanks
Ceramic coating coating your pipes will do two things. 1) Reduce the amount of heat that actually permeates the pipe itself. 2) the heat that actually gets through or heat soaks the pipe will dissipate much quicker than the substrate alone.

As a result you'll feel much less radiated heat on you and the pipes will cool much quicker.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:30 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Ceramic coating will be the ideal solution to reduce the heating of the pipes.

Just to mention other solutions, many members have purchased Captain Itch's crotch cooler. It is best if I just direct you to their website.

Captain Itch crotch cooler

Crotch cooler threads

You made find it satisfactory and you won't have to remove your pipes, send them off to have them ceramic coated and reinstall. Also less expensive.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:58 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

I was going to let you know about the Capt's CC.. but Doc beat me..

I've read a bunch of other softail riders in here that have TD's and they are extremely happy with his Crotch cooler leather cover and he's makes them with top of line leather and does great work....

Old 04-25-2016, 11:08 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Leather patch on your jeans?

Old 04-25-2016, 11:23 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't know about heat dissipation but the real purpose for ceramic coating is to improve exhaust scavenging abilities. Performance is the reason ceramic coating was first put on exhaust.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:35 PM
Deluxe_16
Intermediate

I have looked at Captain Itch Crotch cooler. For my issue it would not work for me. The pipe is burning down near my knee and I do not want something hanging down that far on my bike. However, I have looked at his site and I do like the fender and tank bibs. I Thank you for the advice about the cooler.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:36 PM
Deluxe_16
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Leather patch on your jeans?

I have thought about that or making something for my thigh. I just hope the DEI Products does the trick.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:43 PM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

As mentioned before the ceramic coating is meant to increase performance. It does that by not only keeping up the velocity of the exhaust gases, but by reducing heat in the engine bay on automotive applications. It will NOT prevent your leg from getting burned should you touch the pipe, but may help in reducing temps a little AROUND the pipe.