General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:39 AM
JB WILD
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road King engine vibration

I'm sure this has been brought up many times but here goes anyway. 2005 Road King Custom engine vibrates and yes I've replaced the front motor mount and my run out is at 2 1/2 thousands. My question is I haven't seen anything written about the front engine mount stabilizer and how to adjust it.
There has to be a way to get rid of the vibration.
Any useful info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
JB

Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 AM
coastie56
Grand HDF Member

Received 397 Likes on 332 Posts

JB_I had the same issues with my 03 FLHR and also some wallowing in high speed turns. I found the two rear rubber doughnut engine mounts were bad as well. When I replaced them my bike rode and handled like brand new. They are located under the bolt on frame plates and are only held in there by a long through bolt with washers on both sides and are easy to change if you have another set of hands to hold a socket and ratchet on the other side of the bike. Look also on the Harley Tech Talk forum under Max Headflows "wobbles like a drunken camel" thread. Just do a search on the forum. Also search You Tube for Glide Pro videos on how to do the job the easy way and also search their web site too. Believe me I was surprised how easy it was...Good luck.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:17 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Vibrates at idle, or at speed? If it's at idle, just the way they are. Should smooth out once you get going.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:09 AM
critter85
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,497 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!

JB my 2015 RK vibrates at idle that what all touring bikes do and when I'm riding it's smooth.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:01 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

At idle it should shake like a dog shitting a peach seed.

The following users liked this post:
Yak's MMX (06-06-2021)
Old 04-28-2016, 06:02 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Coming off my '02 Sporty, got on my brand new '06 RKC and took off. Few minutes later down the road stopping at a intersection. Thought my motor was about to fall off the frame and returned to the dealer. My buddy who happens to be my mechanic laughed at me and explained, "Shakes at idle and runs smooth as you ride." Loving every moment I ride for the last 10 years.

Got nervous when I demo'ed a softail as the balanced engine didn't shake one a bit.

Thorey

Old 04-28-2016, 11:00 AM
JB WILD
Stage IV

Guys I have vibration all the time not just at idle. Sorry should have been more specific on that. When at at idle she shakes a bit can still see out the mirrors. When I'm riding I feel the vibration in my butt and it gets pretty uncomfortable. Bike is in the shop right now having new lifters installed, cam bearings, tires, a new custom map and dyno. Should get it back by Monday then the ball is in my court. Gonna check the compensator nut and whatever you guys may suggest.
Thanks.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:31 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Ok, Wishing you the best and let the rest of us know then.

Thorey

Old 04-29-2016, 09:34 AM
Donnybrook
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JB WILD
Guys I have vibration all the time not just at idle. Sorry should have been more specific on that. When at at idle she shakes a bit can still see out the mirrors. When I'm riding I feel the vibration in my butt and it gets pretty uncomfortable. Bike is in the shop right now having new lifters installed, cam bearings, tires, a new custom map and dyno. Should get it back by Monday then the ball is in my court. Gonna check the compensator nut and whatever you guys may suggest.
Thanks.
I'd be looking at the tires, balancing rims, or damaged rims.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:03 PM
burntsaw
Intermediate

As soon as i left the dealership on my 2011 rk and got on the highway,i had a bad enough vibration that it would impair my vision at 55 mph and up.When i got home i made an app for them to figure it out.It would be almost a week till the app. so,before the app. me and a friend tried all kinds of things to figure it out ourselves...loose bolts,belt, motor mounts...nothing was out of place.Until i removed the windshield! It was too low and was blowing wind under the visor of my half helmet,shaking me violently.Smooth as a babies *** after that.App canceled.