General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prescription Glasses & Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:03 AM
DjMattyt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prescription Glasses & Sunglasses

I'm a brand new rider and wear prescription glasses. I don't think my current glasses will really stay on my face well and my sunglasses are Ray Ban Aviators so I'm sure they let in too much air. Does anyone have any suggestions wear to get glasses that I can bring to my eyeglass place to put the prescription lenses in?

Old 04-29-2016, 07:28 AM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Just get a Bell Pit Boss helmet with the drop down tinted half shield and be done with it. My wife and I use them and they work great. Much cheaper than prescription sunglasses or goggles.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:42 AM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Visors are great but if you plan on half helmet at all then sunglasses much better option to feel open during the ride. I have wileyx. Prescription. My prescription was a little too strong for many wrap around sport sunglasses. Worth it if you plan to ride a lot.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:43 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

A visor is a good answer, probably the best. I've used them with half shell helmets a good bit. The snap on ones have been my go to.

The other option is to go to a Bike shop and try on every pair fo goggles until you find one comfortable enough to wear with your glasses.

I have been away from riding for a few years, but I swear Wiley-X used to have prescription services. I would wager several of the other larger optics/goggle manufacturers do it as well. But, it ain't never cheap! (hence my reliance on visors or suggestion of goggles to fit over your existing glasses)

Old 04-29-2016, 07:57 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I would just have your prescription put in a pair of wrap around type safety glasses. My eye provider used to have a really nice selection and you could get them tinted or clear.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:59 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by DjMattyt
I'm a brand new rider and wear prescription glasses. I don't think my current glasses will really stay on my face well and my sunglasses are Ray Ban Aviators so I'm sure they let in too much air. Does anyone have any suggestions wear to get glasses that I can bring to my eyeglass place to put the prescription lenses in?
There are many sunglass manufactures that you can have your prescription lens added. One poster mentioned WileyX which are good. Here is a good site with a lot of selection
http://www.bikersrx.com/
Oakley also makes frames for Rx
Chances are your eyeglass place may even have a selection of sunglass frames for RX

As another poster suggested helmets with drop down tinted half shields. I have a 3/4 helmet with a drop down tinted half shield and love it. I never thought I would like it as well as I do. There are often times your are riding in and out of shaded areas or late evenings when at times you need sunglasses and 3 miles later you don't. With the drop down shield you have a quick option of tint or no tint at your fingertips while riding.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:30 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

This. Bell RS-1.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:05 AM
chadk
Road Master
Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

i use a full face / modular with the drop down visor.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:17 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I'm "lucky" in being totally farsighted, so I really don't need vision correction to ride. On the FXR (no windshield), I can get away with $10 cheapo goggles.

Only problem is I can't read the gauges at all. My near vision is zippo.

On the FLHTC (windshield) I just wear my regular trifocals (old man talking). The only thing about those is you have to get accommodated to how the various segments of the lens can screw with your head. Shoulder checks in particular.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Drair
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad

As another poster suggested helmets with drop down tinted half shields. I have a 3/4 helmet with a drop down tinted half shield and love it. I never thought I would like it as well as I do. There are often times your are riding in and out of shaded areas or late evenings when at times you need sunglasses and 3 miles later you don't. With the drop down shield you have a quick option of tint or no tint at your fingertips while riding.

Quick Reply: Prescription Glasses & Sunglasses