General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laughlin River Run Report...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:19 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Talking Laughlin River Run Report...

Just returned from the 2016 Laughlin River Run {my first but definitely not my last}. My bride and I rode up from Tucson departing last Tuesday and stopping to visit friends in Mesa. This shortened the ride by about 100 miles and it was a good, albeit brief visit.

We left their place Wednesday morning at 0830 and the worst of the Phoenix commute had faded. Got in the car pool lane cruised all the way across Phoenix without a lane change. Definitely the way to go. The new 303 loop took us up to 60 and on into Wickenburg and then 93 took us all the way to I-40 east of Kingman.

The weather said single digit winds all the way to Laughlin but from I-40 all the way in it was blowing a steady 25 out of the south with a few 35 mph gusts... NOT fun! Rolled into the Tropicana at 1:30. Wednesday was fairly quiet, we even got garage parking for the Super Glide but by Thursday the whole town was seriously jumping.

I'm guessing that at least 97% of all the bikes in town were Harley's, you saw a few Indians and couple of Victory's and the occasional Gold Wing but not much else. By Thursday afternoon every parking lot pretty much looked like this:

We had a few sprinkles on Thursday but not enough to bother anyone. The crowd was nicest bunch of folks you would ever want to meet. Never heard a harsh word or horn honk the whole time we were there. The heavy police presence and private security hardly seemed needed but that is probably because they were there. Colors (hard or soft), were strictly prohibited from every venue and I never saw any one percenters.

The music rocked from everywhere and the "sound of freedom" blasted long and loud as every biker in town tried to out do the rest. Spent more than few hours on the patio at the Tropicana listening to music and bikes and just enjoying the vibe.

The vendors were doing land office business selling any and everything bike related. Harley was out in force providing a dozen or more bikes for demo rides. Lots of bike up on the lifts getting everything from new pipes to LED accent lights, tune ups, suspension tweeks etc..

Our trip got even better when I took a slot machine down for $400 which pretty much paid for the whole trip. The forecast called for serious wind between Laughlin and Tucson for Saturday so we left this morning at 0830 and cruised the 388 miles back home with a strong westery/northwesterly at our backs the whole ride. Can't wait to go back and urge any who have never gone to find a way...

Old 04-29-2016, 10:01 PM
06BlackWG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last night I got pounded by the rain storm about 8:15 and the wind was pretty bad but I live in Bullhead City so I went home. Glad you had fun. There's more people here today and there were still more coming in.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts

Sounds like a blast

Old 04-30-2016, 12:01 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

"Colors (hard or soft), were strictly prohibited from every venue and I never saw any one percenters."

Prohibiting colors is why you didn't SEE any 1%ers but that doesn't mean they weren't there.

The following 3 users liked this post by ChickinOnaChain:
Apendejo (04-30-2016), jakenok (05-02-2016), TwiZted Biker (05-02-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 07:01 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

What are "hard or soft" colors?

Old 04-30-2016, 09:21 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Sounds like the event was pretty dull and boring.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:56 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Sounds like the event was pretty dull and boring.
OP won $400 at the slots, I understand why he had a great time.

Had he dropped a bundle at the craps table, maybe having drinks at the Tropacana and listening to an endless sea of straight pipes wouldn't have been such a good "vibe".

Old 04-30-2016, 02:33 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Wink Wow, tough crowd... a couple more observations

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
"Colors (hard or soft), were strictly prohibited from every venue and I never saw any one percenters."

Prohibiting colors is why you didn't SEE any 1%ers but that doesn't mean they weren't there.
Never said they weren't there, just that I didn't see any. I've known a few over the years and doubt they are inherently invisible just because they are not wearing their cuts. My point was everyone I interacted with was just there for a good time and all were having it.

I'm sure it got a lot more festive after us old folks headed in for the night. As far as gambling it should be nothing but fun, win or lose, otherwise why bother? As noted though.... winning is lot more fun.

If the patio at the Trop was too tame for your tastes the "Adult" outdoor bar with a dozen or more scantily clad dancers and music that could be heard in Kingman might be more to your liking. We spent some time there as well.

Got quite an education talking to so many other folks, checking out the thousands of bikes and seeing the new products. If Laughlin isn't your cup of Joe so be it but if you attended and had a lousy time it was probably a self inflicted wound.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:10 PM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain

You're some expert. Must have got that way watching Sons of Anarchy.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:56 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

A few of us went on Sunday and returned on Thursday. The rooms were $27/night instead of $160/night. We rode around Monday & Tuesday. By Wednesday all the vendors were set up and the Hogs & Heffers bar was rocking. We left town Thursday morning as the masses were rolling in. Just like going to Sturgis the week before the event.

Quick Reply: Laughlin River Run Report...