General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSF course complete

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts
Default MSF course complete

I just took the MSF course this weekend because it is required to complete every 5 years to be able to ride on base. This is my 3rd time taking the course and it was fun as always. Only thing that worried me is some people who passed the course really could use more practice before hitting the streets. I am sure they will put in the time to get more comfortable on a bike but completing the class means they can Just walk into a DMV and get a license. I don't disagree with this but I hope they are safe about being on the road.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:55 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

That was you to at one point in time and now look at you- an accomplished and experienced cyclist.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:04 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

I started riding when I was 6 on a pw50 but yes I do understand that they will continue to learn and I am not against them riding. I just hope for their safety they practice in a safe environment. I am not against new riders just want bikers to be safe and enjoy the ride

Old 05-01-2016, 10:12 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

I hear ya. I too started riding at young age (4 or 5). I have mixed feelings about the MSF courses. They definitely have value, but I think some folks over estimate the skill level they teach (as you have seen).

Old 05-02-2016, 07:19 AM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

It's not the class it's the fact that a person only needs to get 50% to pass. Personally I think a license for cars or bikes should require a minimum of 80% to pass the exam.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:43 AM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by StoneyFatBoy
It's not the class it's the fact that a person only needs to get 50% to pass. Personally I think a license for cars or bikes should require a minimum of 80% to pass the exam.
Not sure where you're getting your information but you definitely don't pass the MSF Basic Rider Course with a 50%. The written test is 80% and the riding test is based on total points deducted from each skill demonstrated during the test; 0 being perfect up to a maximum of 20 points.

All the MSF course, just like any driving course, can do is give you the basic skills. It's now up to the rider to practice those skills to become more proficient.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:49 AM
LockAndLoad
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

It was kind of the other way around for me recently. Though I've been riding since I was 8, I was without a bike for most of the last 12 years and I thought I'd learn a few things (I did). But, out of our class of 10 riders, one dropped out completely and two others didn't pass based on the riding test. The guy who dropped out needed to, he simply needed more time in the saddle. The other two though I felt had done pretty well during the class. Both were fairly new riders you could tell, but it appeared to me that they were safe drivers at least.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

I took the MSF course years ago before moving to Europe.

Based on the training I was required to take to get my motorcycle endorsement out here, nobody would be able to pass the exams out here based on the MSF course.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:02 AM
puckoach
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stal94gt
I started riding when I was 6 on a pw50 but yes I do understand that they will continue to learn and I am not against them riding. I just hope for their safety they practice in a safe environment. I am not against new riders just want bikers to be safe and enjoy the ride

First off, Thank you for your service !

I for one appreciate your concern. I was happy that the course is a part of getting your MC license here in Mass. Not required, but if you pass, you are granted the license.

I have encouraged all to take the course. Some find that riding is not for them. Others, take to it well.

It's a "Basic" skills course. Start there, keep practicing and learning.

8 years later, the winter off season "damages" my skills as well. Bad habits leaking back into my riding. At start of each season, not a bad idea to go back and skim the book !

Stay Safe !

Old 05-02-2016, 10:22 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I'm glad I took it, but before the test they said you would fail your road exam if you failed some things two times like the figure 8 in the box, and dropping the bike was immediate fail, no do over.

2 people dropped their bike and multiple people failed the required stuff that you had two tries to get right. They passed everyone. I don't believe they did anyone a favor by passing them when they clearly weren't ready. But everyone gets a trophy these days.. thanks for participating.

Quick Reply: MSF course complete