General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down she went

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:57 PM
Swtass
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Down she went

Today I went on a beautiful ride with my husband and a friend of ours. decided to ride with the husband instead of riding mine. I've kinda missed being with him. We get back home and I'm excited becuae I can win a photo challange with my softail. I head out on my own get my picture then decide since my poor bike got left at home all day I'd take the long way home via my friends house. Get to her appartment and park knowing while im parking I should not be parking here or like this. I get ready to go. Start backing out of the parking spot. It has a bit of a hill (oops one) and gravel (oops two). And I'm sure you can all guess it goes down. I dumped my beautiful new 2016 softail slim s. Gently but still a dump. I sit there for a sec wishing to turn back time pick up my bike and text my husband that I broke it. Get home husband says it happens.

So now I feel horrible and im wanting all of you to tell your first and or worst I dumped my bike story and if there was anything you should have done differently

Incase any of you are wondering bike is fine for the most part. Just a scratch on the faring I just put on.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:01 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

It happens. You're ok (sounds like). Just learn from it and move on.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

It happens, nothing to worry about.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:14 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Glad you and the bike are OK. Bruised ego takes a couple weeks to heal.Don't forger the Rx:

Old 05-01-2016, 10:22 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

When I first started riding many years ago I came to a red light. I put my left foot down and kept my right foot on the peg.....I didn't pay attention to the road sloping to the right. Over she went, with a line of 15 cars behind me

The following users liked this post:
Swtass (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 10:24 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Your lucky no real damage just a scrape or two, my Street Glide rolled down a friends insanely steep driveway on it's kickstand (left in neutral, my fault) and tipped over onto it's right side to the tune of a 3K totally new paint job.

Swtass (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 10:40 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,458 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I've always said that a motorcycle is just waiting for the chance to fall over!

Last year (for the first time in 25 years) I fell off of mine....for NO reason.
What made it even worse was that I was in the H-D dealership parking lot and had several witnesses

Get back on your horse and keep ridin' !

The following 2 users liked this post by 2AMGuy:
mikedanben (05-04-2016), Swtass (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 10:52 PM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Last year I had a saddlebag lid fall off and get scratched all to hell, ordered a new one to the tune of $450.

First ride of the year, I get back and park the bike in tight to the car inside the garage, awkwardly climb off a little too close to the car, not realizing the jiffy stand wasn't locked, must've got caught on the little piece that locks it in place, then slipped the wrong way and instead of locking into place, it let go and fell into the car, scratching the same damn saddlebag lid I just replaced last year. Son of a...

So enough of that, I parked the car outside to make more room for the bike. After a month of parking the car outside, the weedwacker throws a rock through the car window (because it's outside now). So I can't bloody win no matter what I do.

First world problems I guess.

The following 2 users liked this post by nickthecanuck:
Ibfuelish (05-07-2016), Swtass (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 12:06 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Sooner or Later..............................!

Old 05-02-2016, 12:21 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,142 Likes on 5,592 Posts

It happens to everyone sooner or later. I got mine about 10 years ago. I was working night shift, it was early spring and when I came home I had to ride into my yard to do a U turn then point the bike back into the shed. The dew had fallen pretty heavy that night and when I turned my wheel to make the u turn the front end slid out from under me due to the wet grass. The bike was an 04 Electra Glide Classic and it wasn't hurt or scratched but man oh man are those things heavy.

Swtass (05-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Down she went