General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laughlin River Run

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:27 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Laughlin River Run

Just got back from the Laughlin River Run.
This rally is getting smaller every year. Very likely the last time we'll ever go.
Boring is the word, definitely.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:33 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,517 Likes on 6,636 Posts

If you don't drink or gamble there's better ways to spend your time.

The following users liked this post:
joes bar and grill (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 12:54 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,583 Likes on 4,612 Posts

I've felt like that for a few years now. I remember when it just rocked, just before the gun fight, it was great. the river run was a fatality in that fight, but the economy crash took it out completely. no reason for me to go any more

Old 05-03-2016, 01:27 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

I was at my place in Havasu all weekend, and we definitely did not get the amount of bikers we have in the past.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:42 PM
st john
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The Laughlin river run is what you make it. It can be a time to get away and do something different or it is a time to get away and do the same old thing. With that in mind any Rally can be boring if you go enough times, or does it. Start going to Rally's you have never been to before even if it looks like it would be lame at least it will change things up for you and you may travel a different road.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Surfcitydude
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

I went for the 1st time and was really disasapointed. Room at Aquarius was great but the rest was dull. The one big outside bar, Hogs and Heffers, started fun but then the sneeze-bags working there seem to thing men like them being crude. Non-stop! The best part of the trip was we left Friday for Kingman to breakfast, visited a few gun shops then to Oatman. Sorta crowded but interesting. Went to my friends house at Havasu for the rest of the weekend and had a blast, even though it rained a little Saturday. Nice ride home Sunday through Desert Center and Indio.

Next year were going to try the Phoenix bike week in early April and do Havasu during the river run.

Last edited by Surfcitydude; 05-03-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by st john
The Laughlin river run is what you make it. It can be a time to get away and do something different or it is a time to get away and do the same old thing. With that in mind any Rally can be boring if you go enough times, or does it. Start going to Rally's you have never been to before even if it looks like it would be lame at least it will change things up for you and you may travel a different road.

The Laughlin River Run isn't only what you make of it. No rally is. That's why they're getting to be so boring.

Been to the Laughlin rally twice before back in '06 and '08. Back in '06 and '08 there was speedway racing in the barn out at the Avi. Harrah's had big name live music. Great time and some really good racing.
Now there's about half the numbers of vendors, no live music, no racing, and well over 50% of those there were newbies all dressed up in their brand new chaps, jackets, and day-glo vests all riding brand new amber/whiskey 2016 StreetGlides.
Just like Sturgis......it just ain't the same no matter what you try to make out of it.
My rally trips are definitely numbered - been to more than a few - and rally's are definitely going down the toilet.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Police citations were up 181% from last year. lets see, less people than last year yet more tickets. Another reason not to go. Years ago, rooms were inexpensive, wall to wall bikes in all the lots and the main streets (had to park on the bullhead side and take the water taxi across) I see more Las Vegas Metro Cops there in one day than I see here in Vegas all year

Old 05-04-2016, 01:05 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Go to Laughlin about every other year. Nice ride through the desert, and it becomes "bike city" for those few days.

This year, went to Bike Week in AZ. It is a very different event, but had a blast.

Those tired of Laughlin might want to give it a try, as something different.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:41 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I have been going each year for the past 7 years and I ride from Illinois. Since I am a non drinker and don't gamble I find the people watching, vendors and food venues my main focus. Always worth while. Never had a single problem with parking even in the past years that attendance was greater. This was the fewest people there that I have seen. But that was due to bad weather for days to the east, west and north.

Then I go to Vegas to visit my son and his wife.

Quick Reply: Laughlin River Run