General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding on a new bike...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 12:12 PM
jpsexton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding on a new bike...

I've sold my Sportster and Electraglide and now I'm considering a Softail or Dyna.

I always had the luxury of two bikes, the touring bike for long rides and the sporty to just have fun with. I now have to buy just one bike and I've convinced myself that I can find something that will fill both roles.

I've narrowed it down to two bikes. The first one is a 2008 Superglide Custom with less than 200 miles and has been kept in air conditioned storage it's whole life. It looks as if you just rolled it off of the showroom floor! The second one is a 2005 Softail Standard with less than 3500 miles and has been kept in a Garage it's whole life. It's not showroom condition but very close. The price is virtually the same for both bikes.

I absolutely loved my Sportster and the Superglide reminds me of a bigger version so I'm leaning that direction. The Softail however strikes me as something that might be more comfortable 2 up long distance.

Dyna or Softail? Help me decide...

Old 05-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 615 Likes on 384 Posts

I'd go for the 2008 Superglide Custom. It has more chrome and better handling.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:35 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,630 Likes on 4,624 Posts

do you ride 2 up at all? I had a superglide, (earlier model than the one you are looking at) and I loved it. great handling, fast (I did some stuff!), looked good. great bike, but when I rode 2 up with the wife (and shes small) it was crowded. other than that I really liked the bike. On the softail I had, She only rode a couple times with me on that bike but there was definitely more room, but not the same handling as the dyna. Maybe that will help you choose. From what you gave us, I like the dyna.

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 05-05-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:50 PM
jpsexton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
do you ride 2 up at all?
That's what is making my decision hard. The wife likes to ride on the weekends and we go on overnight trips when time and weather allows.

I feel like the Softail would be better 2 up but the Dyna would more fun to ride...

Old 05-05-2016, 01:06 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 770 Posts

I have put about 107,000 miles on Reaper (my 2005 Softail Night Train). I've done LOTS of 500+ mile days in her saddle. Ridden all sorts of roads, carried hundreds of pounds of luggage and passengers, all with 14" apes and no windshield, and I've always gotten off her feeling fine (tired if it was a 14+ hour riding day, but just from being on the road that long). Until 2 summers ago, that was on the stock suspension. I currently have Progressive 422s in the rear and Progressive front springs, which made her feel brand new!

In my experience, the seat is what makes the difference. Make sure you get a good one.

Cheers!

Last edited by Clammy; 05-05-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:35 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Go Softail. You won't be sorry.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:41 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Toss a coin...or test ride them and decide yourself. Easy...

Old 05-05-2016, 01:45 PM
Jamo11
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

2008 was a good year for the Superglide. Personally, I'd go for that. It's a great motorcycle.

If you need a great 2 into 1, I have a new in box Samson Caliber Jack Price Special Edition 2 into 1 that I'm looking for a worthy buyer for. Fits almost any Dyna w/FI. They don't make 'em any more.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jpsexton
That's what is making my decision hard. The wife likes to ride on the weekends and we go on overnight trips when time and weather allows.

I feel like the Softail would be better 2 up but the Dyna would more fun to ride...
It sounds like you are leaning toward the Dyna... By the same token, let's also not forget that you have a wife to keep happy as well. On it's surface it seems like a "Hobson's Choice". The good news is that either decision could be a potential winner. I should only have such decisions to deal with. However; truth be told, I'm very happy with my XL883 Sportster Low and i have no issues with the two up question as my wife is totally opposed to riding. G-d love her, she doesn't care that I ride but she is happy not to join me on my Harley for a ride... Ultimately, I guess to each their own.

I went through what you are going through now in terms of do I want to sell my XL Sportster and buy a new FXDL. It was a tough decisions but I decided to keep my Sportster. Would I like a more powerful Bike... Sure, but do I need one when I am strictly a solo rider. The answer is a resounding NO! I don't need the added power and I don't need the additional expense. As a friend of mine used to say, "All G-d's Children be Happy". I'll be just as happy with my XL as I would with the Dyna. In the meantime...

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Old 05-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,163 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Get the Superglide and get seat that is comfortable for her and relocate the passenger pegs to a position she likes.

Quick Reply: Deciding on a new bike...