General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D Quilt

Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts
Default H-D Quilt

Do you have a bunch of H-D t-shirts that you are no longer using or fitting into?

If so, I want to pass this on to you folks.

Through the years, like many of you, I have been purchasing many non-motorcycle related H-D items but the two items that I have collected (and still collecting) are poker chips and t-shirts.

Obviously, the poker chip collecting will probably never end unless they stop making them and let's face it, they'll never stop making those things for a nickel and selling them for up to $2.00 in their stores!

Any way, moving on the topic of my post:

My friends wife started "quilting" a couple of years ago and about that time I started shedding some excess weight (that I no longer, or never needed) so my H-D t-shirts suddenly became obsolete.

My friend asked me if I had enough t-shirts to donate to his wife to make a H-D quilt.
Well, I did and she did.
She made me a quilt (from my H-D t-shirts) and backed I with a red/black flame material and it is beautiful!

Now, my wife's friend (who also quilts) wants to do the same so I'm gonna make another "donation" in order for her to make one (or two)

Old 05-09-2016, 12:15 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

My wife also quilts and is planning to do the same thing. She finds a lot of HD shirts at Goodwill and plans to use them along with some of my old shirts. On senior day they cost her about $1.50 per shirt.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:50 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

How many shirts does it take to make a Quilt? I probably threw enough to make one a quilt, couple of weeks ago. Great idea.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:10 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Years back, the Hog group I belonged to had one of the loh members quilt one up for the yearly fund raiser we had. We sold raffle tickets for most of the year,and around Christmas we had the raffle. Worked like a charm for raising money.,,,

Old 05-09-2016, 03:22 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04Hali
My wife also quilts and is planning to do the same thing. She finds a lot of HD shirts at Goodwill and plans to use them along with some of my old shirts. On senior day they cost her about $1.50 per shirt.
WOW!!!
and to think that I paid $20 to $30 bucks a piece for those things!

Old 05-09-2016, 03:26 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Years back, the Hog group I belonged to had one of the loh members quilt one up for the yearly fund raiser we had. We sold raffle tickets for most of the year,and around Christmas we had the raffle. Worked like a charm for raising money.,,,
How much can you get for a quilt at an auction?

Hopefully there wouldn't be too many cheapskates doing the bidding, especially for a worthy cause.

Sure is a lot of "person hours" (planning, lay-out and sewing) to make a quilt not to mention the other materials (backing, insulation and thread).

Old 05-09-2016, 03:36 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CR3999
How many shirts does it take to make a Quilt? I probably threw enough to make one a quilt, couple of weeks ago. Great idea.
That depends on what size quilt that you want.
I think mine has 15 T-shirt (backs) but is also has "borders" that makes it appear larger.

Mine is more for display than use so it didn't need to be larger enough to cover our (King) bed. I bought all of the shirts (from various dealerships around the country) so there's a little memory (for me) about each one.

I you're thinking of a quilt for daily use, I'd suggest that you have at least 20-25 shirts on hand to begin with.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:37 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
WOW!!!
and to think that I paid $20 to $30 bucks a piece for those things!
I have found brand new HD t-shirts w/tags at Goodwill for that price. Several of the HD dealerships donate them. At one time one of the Goodwill stores had a section of the store with nothing but HD boots, shirts and all the other stuff donated to them by the local Harley stores but they no longer have it.

Last month I found two HD, made in Hawaii, Hawaiian shirts.

Old 05-09-2016, 03:42 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Old 05-09-2016, 04:45 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I want to find somebody to make me a quilt for my guest room (Queen bed). I would gladly pay since I am useless at sewing. If anybody knows a quilter please pass their info to me. I easily have close to 25 shirts that have holes in them/stained or are too big or too small to wear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H-D Quilt