General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather Vest Alterations

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:10 AM
marcocast
Contact IB to have your account opened
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Leather Vest Alterations

Real quick and simple.
I am looking to extend the length of my Harley Davidson Leather vest. I bought it online and it seems a smidge to short. I am looking to add at least an inch on the bottom.

I have been to 2 places that told me they could not make the alterations.

Does anyone know if this kind of alteration is even possible?

Old 05-10-2016, 10:16 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Most tailors are ill-equipped to work with leather. Perhaps check a shoe repair store - they may be able to let out the hem and add some backing.

The following users liked this post:
marcocast (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 10:26 AM
marcocast

But it is possible right? I would think anything is possible, just some can do it others cannot.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:10 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by marcocast
But it is possible right? I would think anything is possible, just some can do it others cannot.
Anything is possible. Like another poster said most tailors are not equipped to work with leather. Need to find someone that does. The issue you will likely face is there is not enough material in the hem to let it out and gain an inch of length. The only alternative is to add leather to it. IMHO doing that will be noticeable as the stitch where they are joined will be seen and it is highly unlikely they will ever exactly match the color/grain of the two pieces.

I am guessing you ordered the vest from a source that you cant return it. If that's not the case then I would return it and get one with a longer length. Depending on what you paid for it its very likely that if you are able to find someone to add length to it its going to cost as much or more than you paid for the vest

Old 05-10-2016, 11:18 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Think outside the box for a minute - if you can't find a seamstress that can do leather, maybe an auto upholstery shop?
Matching the leather will be tough for color, weight & texture
If it were me, I'd look at selling the vest and going with someone like Fox Creek and having a custom one done as trying to add material will be expensive and I'm not sure you'll be happy with the final look

Old 05-10-2016, 11:19 AM
marcocast

When I go home for lunch I will see how much can be let out from inside the hem.

And yes. I purchased it second hand. Paid $50 for a $150 vest. Figured it was a hell of a deal, even if the fit is a tad off.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by marcocast
When I go home for lunch I will see how much can be let out from inside the hem.

And yes. I purchased it second hand. Paid $50 for a $150 vest. Figured it was a hell of a deal, even if the fit is a tad off.
Yep it sounds like you got a good deal. And I would do as you stated and see how much is in the hem. But on a vest I just doubt you will find close to an extra inch there. The good news is at worse you are only out $50 and could likely find someone to sell it to for that amount. If there is not enough material in the hem I would forget trying to have material added and just sell it and find another. Take the measurement of the vest you have from the top of the shoulder to the bottom of the vest and use it to compare if you shop for another. They do make vest in tall which give you extra length

Old 05-10-2016, 11:33 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Just AN INCH??? To me, it's not worth the time and surely not the money. Now if it was 4-6", yeah, but not an inch.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:46 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Just AN INCH??? To me, it's not worth the time and surely not the money. Now if it was 4-6", yeah, but not an inch.
Thats what she said LOL

Sorry could not resist

Old 05-10-2016, 12:06 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Could you just exchange it for a bigger size ? Most online shops do allow that

Quick Reply: Leather Vest Alterations