General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating Joining Harley

Old 05-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Kl9
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating Joining Harley

Hey everyone. Very strongly considering buying my first bike which would be a Wide Glide. However, I'm having doubts about whether it is all worth it or not. I'm sure this topic has surfaced a number of times so I apologize for it happening again. My hesitation is in regards to potential injury. I read and am told horror stories all the time of bad accidents, and yes I realize there are a great number of tragedies that could occur to any person on a given day. My real concern is some sort of paralyzing injury and I've tried to find stats on how frequent this happens (seeing numbers makes it easier for me to evaluate things). I see numbers that 3-5k people die every year from motorcycle accidents. Are paralyzing injuries this frequent as well??

I'm sure this isn't a popular topic as people likely don't wish to discuss it, but all input/sources is very appreciated. Cheers

Old 05-12-2016, 09:41 PM
Marcel61
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Kl9
Hey everyone. Very strongly considering buying my first bike which would be a Wide Glide. However, I'm having doubts about whether it is all worth it or not. I'm sure this topic has surfaced a number of times so I apologize for it happening again. My hesitation is in regards to potential injury. I read and am told horror stories all the time of bad accidents, and yes I realize there are a great number of tragedies that could occur to any person on a given day. My real concern is some sort of paralyzing injury and I've tried to find stats on how frequent this happens (seeing numbers makes it easier for me to evaluate things). I see numbers that 3-5k people die every year from motorcycle accidents. Are paralyzing injuries this frequent as well??

I'm sure this isn't a popular topic as people likely don't wish to discuss it, but all input/sources is very appreciated. Cheers
Yes there are risks, but you can minimize the risks by making good decisions. Get a good helmet and riding gear, look after your bike, and ride safely. It is worth it.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:45 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Buy the bike, learn how to prepare yourself, and then put some time on it. Only then you will know whether its worth it or not. Gotta decide this one on your own. Good Luck

Old 05-12-2016, 09:54 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcel61
Yes there are risks, but you can minimize the risks by making good decisions. Get a good helmet and riding gear, look after your bike, and ride safely. It is worth it.
And don't speed, drink or do drugs when you ride!

If you take a motorcycle safety course, and take the advice that I and other have offered, your odds of getting hurt or killed riding your motorcycle get considerably smaller.

A Harley for a first is not really a great idea. Why not shop around for an inexpensive, smaller "practice bike" to get some experience then if you like it and feel comfortable you can sell or trade it and get yourself a Harley.

However, if you're that fearful it's possible that the reward of riding for you would not be worth the risk.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 05-12-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:58 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Received 156 Likes on 73 Posts
Smile Ride defensively

Life is too short to succumb to fear. I say go for it. You can minimise risk by buying all the right protective gear and riding defensively.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 PM
vicsponjr
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I have ridden since I was 15. I couldn't do without it. That being said, I never wanted my son to ride. It is too dangerous.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:00 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

My cousin was killed on his bike, 3 years before I bought mine. It happens and if I could see any stats, I'd say more often than not, it's not the riders fault. I stopped riding after 11 years of riding because I kept thinking about crashing when I went out, so I sold it and stayed away from bikes, mostly because of money.

I know accidents and what might happen afterwards is important to you and your concern shows but you can't/shouldn't go into buying a bike with this on your head. Sure you have to be aware of what's going on around you at all times but letting it control you, will take the fun out of it.

You need to think this out, talk to someone close to you about this, before you spend the money on a bike. Whatever you decide, Good Luck to you.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,482 Likes on 6,622 Posts

Take a motorcycle safety class, get some training first. If that works for you then get a motorcycle license. And finally, rent a Harley. Following this advice will help you stay safe & probably save you money. Motorcycling isn't for everybody & if you need proof of that statement check out how many used bikes are for sale with extremely low mileage.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:07 PM
John S
Club Member

Received 7,789 Likes on 3,576 Posts

If you're going to ride you will need to cultivate a strong mental attitude about it. There is danger out there for riders- no argument there- but if you're in the saddle you've got to be a street soldier and have confidence in yourself and your machine. You won't get that overnight, but it will come with education and road time. Wear your gear, watch your six (and your nine and three and twelve- at the same time), and as much fun as you're having realize your goal is for you and your bike to come home in one piece so you can ride the next day.

I've been out of riding myself for many years- returning soon- and, as Marcel noted, it's definitely worth it.

(^ I concur with everything posted previously to this- READ AND HEED. They know what they're talking about.)

Old 05-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Kl9
Novice

Thanks everyone for the replies. Most things mentioned I have thought about already and don't know how to make a determination in my mind in regards to risk vs reward. I think that is why I like to see statistics because otherwise I just go back and forth in my head.

Last edited by Kl9; 05-12-2016 at 10:14 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Contemplating Joining Harley