General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage softail classic or super glide.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:37 PM
Super2k
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Heritage softail classic or super glide.

This would be my first Harley. The heritage is a 2003 with 11000 miles, $6500. The super glide has 29000 miles, and is $5700. I'm a bit intimidated. Which one and why, please.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:49 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

The Heritage will have a lower center of gravity, smoother ride, a counter-balanced engine, and the bags for light touring. You don't say what year the Superglide is, but it is lighter, probably handles better, but it also vibrates more and doesn't have the bags for touring. Only you can decide which is for you. What are your plans?
I'm partial to the Softail myself.
Good luck with your choice.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:58 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

My vote would be for the Heritage.

The retro-style bags, detachable windshield and passing lamps makes it a very classic bike.

The only negative this about the Heritage is the fact that due to it sits do low is that is doesn't handle curvy roads as well as the Super-Glide.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:59 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Those are two very different bikes within the Harley line and will depend on what you want from your bike. The Dyna (Super Glide) will be a bit smaller, quicker, more agile and responsive. The Softail (Heritage) will be smoother, more comfortable and kick-back on longer rides. I'm also more partial to Softails, but there are instances when I wish my Fatboy was smaller and more nimble, especially on these narrow Japanese streets.

The following users liked this post:
gregintenn (07-28-2022)
Old 05-24-2016, 10:16 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

If it's an FXR Super Glide I'd get it but that all depends on your anticipated needs and riding style. The Heritage is a mid touring model with bags and windshield while the Super Glide if slick is more of a bar hopper, cruiser. You can dress it up with bags, windshield and different seats but if long hauls are your plan I'd go with the Heritage.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:33 PM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I like the lower mileage on the softail for not that much more money.

I had a '92 FXR. Mint was great bike. But, the options for customizing it were limited. I always really wanted a Softail.

I recently picked up a Twin Cam Softail and love it.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:15 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

What's your height and weight? What year is the Super Glide? What type of riding will you be doing? Which has better maintenance records? Any upgrades, on either bike? What shape are the cam chain tensioners? Carb or FI?

Old 05-25-2016, 04:13 AM
Super2k
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The super glide is a 2005. I'm right around 5'10" 185. My rides, I'm assuming will be around an hour long or less. My go for longer depending on how much I like the bike. No real upgrades to either, except forward controls on sg.

And thanks a lot guys. I just wonder if the heritage will have the snappyness I'm desiring. It's not a huge concern though.

I've always had lite sportsbikes, and the sheer size and weight of these bikes are just a bit overwhelming. I would hope id get used to that.

Originally Posted by Ron750
What's your height and weight? What year is the Super Glide? What type of riding will you be doing? Which has better maintenance records? Any upgrades, on either bike? What shape are the cam chain tensioners? Carb or FI?
Not sure about cam tensioners. Sg is carb, heritage is fi.

Originally Posted by Ron750
Not sure about cam tensioners. Sg is carb, heritage is fi. The heritage has barely been rode.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-29-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:57 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Two totally different style bikes.
FX being a bit Sportier....it's like a big Sportser.
Heritage is a classic looking bike, on a Softail chassis...where you sit lower "in" the bike instead of "on" the bike like FX or other FL models.

You're smaller so we don't need to worry about size and feeling tight on a bike. An FX can still be ridden on long rides, I did lots of longer rides with my wife on the back of mine. But the Softail is roomier and more comfy.

But again....it's two totally different looking bikes, different personalities...I don't know which one YOU would like more.
I'd take the Heritage now...cuz I like more classic looks...I'd just pull off the windshield cuz I don't like shields.

Super2k (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 06:00 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 786 Posts
Default Ride them both

Wow, you couldn't get two more different bikes in the Harley lineup. Just the look of them alone is like night and day.

As others have said, the Dyna is light and quick and you can add bags and windshield for longer rides. It will also lean over hard if you want to ride it like it was designed for.

The Softail is considerably heavier, the floor boards WILL scrape the road if you try riding hard as the Dyna. However, it is a great looking bike that will be comfy on the highway. Only you can judge which fits your style. The truth is everyone should have AT LEAST two bikes.

In closing, I have owned a Road King and now a Dyna Super Glide. I do miss the heft of the Road King on longer rides. However, I take the Dyna out for short spins MUCH more frequently due to its fun factor and shear ease of getting it out of the garage...

Super2k (05-25-2016)

Quick Reply: Heritage softail classic or super glide.