General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guy thought I was splitting lanes my perhaps at fault?

Old 05-26-2016, 01:02 AM
gi_king_ken
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default guy thought I was splitting lanes my perhaps at fault?

So I'm riding in fairly heavy traffic in Las Vegas. There's a lot of construction and My lane is coming to an end so I merge into the left lane. To be honest I can't remember if I signaled. Normally I always signal but I'm not sure if I did this time. Anyways I'm hanging out in the far right-hand of my Lane. I like this position because I can see over traffic and see what's happening in front of me. We come to a stop sign and we're only going slow because it's stop and go traffic. It's a temporary stop line at a pair of traffic lights that are out. So I stopped at the stop sign and then proceed when it's safe Because there's people coming from all directions at the intersection. Then I noticed the car behind me is trying to overtake me on the left in the middle of the intersection! He had blatantly ran the stop sign to accomplish this. This pisses me off so I speed up to get out of his way. Anyways down the road I come to a stop and I flipped him off as he drives by and he yells at me. So I took off to follow him to give him a piece of my mind stupid I know. Anyways doing arguing with him it came out that he thought I was lane splitting. Anyways after a big argument we both went our separate ways but my question is Am I in the wrong here and anyway should i not been hanging out in the right-hand off the Lane and giving him the false sense that I was splitting?

The following users liked this post:
Jay Guild (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 01:23 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

No, you're not in the wrong. If that ******* doesn't understand why motorcycle lane position is fluid, that should be his problem, not yours. And even if you were splitting, he does not have the right to take the law into his own hands and endanger your life for an alleged traffic violation.

The following 6 users liked this post by JustOneDean:
fsae0607 (05-26-2016), gi_king_ken (05-26-2016), Jay Guild (05-26-2016), markfsanderson (05-26-2016), qtrracer (05-26-2016), shorelasHD (05-28-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-26-2016, 02:25 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by JustOneDean
And even if you were splitting, he does not have the right to take the law into his own hands and endanger your life for an alleged traffic violation.

This!

Old 05-26-2016, 02:40 AM
_Gir_
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't think lane splitting is legal in LV. I know lots of Cali peeps often visit but probably don't know that.

Besides bikes split lanes, not cars.

ps like you said chasing the guy down is not worth your time.

Last edited by _Gir_; 05-26-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:48 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I agree with the others that the other guy was wrong. But, IMO, there are several advantages to being left of center of a lane whether going slow in traffic, or out on a highway. Since owning a RGS, which has minimal rear lighting, I've gone back to the old way of using hand signals along with the directionals. As you mentioned, I wouldn't suggest following a jerk like him just to give him a piece of my mind.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:37 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Did you have your "get back whip" ready?

load97 (05-28-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 06:13 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

You are in the wrong - for losing your temper and chasing him down. It doesn't really solve anything and will do nothing but crank up your blood pressure. Not that I haven't lost it myself a time or two... Nor am I trying to point a finger. Really, I'm trying to remind myself! Although, as I get older, I've kinda gotten oner my ego and don't give a crap. So, I rarely let myself get worked up someone else's BS. I'd have flicked him off and let it go. Then, within a minute or two, calmed down and laughed at his need to stress himself out.

But, at the same time, he's an asshat and was completely in the wrong. Sounds like he broke several traffic laws and also let himself get worked up.

I tend to hang to the right in a lane when I'm by myself. But, I am rarely on the fringe. Usually I am closer to the center than the lane lines. But, as everyone has already stated, it is a fluid situation.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:20 AM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

should have stabbed him!

Old 05-26-2016, 06:35 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

Escalating the situation is never good, right or wrong. When it's two wheels vs. four, four has the advantage. Just curse him out under your breath.

fsae0607 (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 06:37 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

If you did that around here you might get shot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: guy thought I was splitting lanes my perhaps at fault?