General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping the knowledge pool

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 07:43 AM
Sid1200
Road Master
Received 329 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Tapping the knowledge pool

A friend has a 09 Sporster low 883. She went to start it last night and no go. She does leave it on the tender and the battery was new last year. All lights come on and it primes but then when she hits start...nothing. No sounds no clicking nothing. She has tried both fobs and the red key blinks.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance for any help and ideas.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:37 AM
Donnybrook
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The same thing happened with my wife's 07 883. It was a starter micro relay. The Drag Specialties part number is DS-325849. Hope this helps. It was only an $8.00 part at my Indy.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:40 AM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you checked the kill switch? I know this sounds crazy but I have seen it all to often. I went over to a friend of mine on day and he had his bike apart and his meter out checking wires and anything else he could think of. I asked him what he was doing and he said it won't start it won't even turn over. I looked over at his kill switch and sure enough it was on. Switched it off and the bike fired right up. He wasn't the first person to do that either.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:46 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBill_50
Have you checked the kill switch? I know this sounds crazy but I have seen it all to often. I went over to a friend of mine on day and he had his bike apart and his meter out checking wires and anything else he could think of. I asked him what he was doing and he said it won't start it won't even turn over. I looked over at his kill switch and sure enough it was on. Switched it off and the bike fired right up. He wasn't the first person to do that either.
Ha, Yea I'll admit it, Happend once to me. Don't know how run switch got switched off. I'm one of the ones that never use it. Took me about ten minutes to figure it out after checking fuses lol.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:48 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by WildBill_50
More bikes have probably failed to start because of that pesky kill switch than anything. But no one will admit to it!

Alright, I will admit to being stymied for a minute or two before. But in all fairness I turn my bike off with the key and had hit the kill switch by accident. I have never gone as far as breaking out tools...yet.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:18 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 508 Likes on 443 Posts

Did she try her PIN to disarm the security?

Old 05-31-2016, 10:57 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

A battery tender will not charge a battery sufficiently to start a bike... Might not even charge it enough to light lights.

Try jumping it, or putting it on a regular charger.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:59 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Axis39
A battery tender will not charge a battery sufficiently to start a bike... Might not even charge it enough to light lights...
It most certainly will. That is, obviously, the entire point of keeping a bike on the battery tender.

So it will start.

For the OP: I'll add to check the kill switch.

BTDT.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:29 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Sorta the same thing happened to my buddy and we tracked it down to the turn signal module I believe

Old 05-31-2016, 11:35 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,983 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Put a new battery in the key fob

Quick Reply: Tapping the knowledge pool