General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I find out which year stock pipes fit my bike?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 10:42 AM
oldtoad
Tourer

Received 228 Likes on 120 Posts
Default How do I find out which year stock pipes fit my bike?

Been looking for a stock exhaust system for my 2005 Softail Deluxe and want to find out which model/years will fit. Don't know where to search, and most searches end up nowhere that helps. When I bought the bike it had V&H Short Shots that I found too loud. Talked to V&H and got a set of V&H Double Barrel Staggered because they said these were the quietest they had in the style I was looking for. They're still a little too loud for my tastes, so I'm looking for old stock without having to pay the outrageously high cost of brand new.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Ebay Search may bring a few up. I have purchased from a store in AZ that apparently strips salvaged bikes and lists the parts. no Regrets with what I purchased

Old 06-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,138 Likes on 5,590 Posts

If your Vance and Hines pipes have removable baffles (and I think most do) you could just pull them out and wrap some muffler packing around the baffle. A helluva lot cheaper and you could make them as quiet as you need them to be.

The following users liked this post:
oldtoad (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts
The following users liked this post:
oldtoad (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 01:59 PM
oldtoad
Tourer

Originally Posted by boe1971200
If your Vance and Hines pipes have removable baffles (and I think most do) you could just pull them out and wrap some muffler packing around the baffle. A helluva lot cheaper and you could make them as quiet as you need them to be.
Thanks, but I did this with the short shots. It helped a bit, but not much. Looking for a lot more quietness. I found a set of new old stock and am awaiting a phone call. I'm still curious if there's an easy way to cross reference parts to see which will fit and which won't.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:03 PM
oldtoad
Tourer

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
Ebay Search may bring a few up. I have purchased from a store in AZ that apparently strips salvaged bikes and lists the parts. no Regrets with what I purchased
I've searched that site, but I'm unsure about fitment. Being I have a 2005 I'm fairly certain the newer pipes won't fit, thus the reason I'm looking for an easy way to cross reference parts from different models/years.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:10 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Did you try the HD website? Shop for bike? Put in the year of your bike, and what you're looking for.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:16 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Check on revzilla.com use the bike finder and then match parts

Old 06-01-2016, 04:39 PM
oldtoad
Tourer

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
Did you try the HD website? Shop for bike? Put in the year of your bike, and what you're looking for.
Yes, but got a limited response. The best I could find was using Ronnies OEM parts finder. I can check the various parts against different years/models. It would be nice to find a website that one could type in a part number and get back a list of year/make/model of bike it would fit. I guess only in my dreams.

I had found different pipes for sale, but the sellers didn't have all of the information on them, so I don't know if they'll fit. I got lucky and found the exact exhaust needed with all of the shields, etc. a guy had from when he took them off his new bike back in '05. His bike is long gone, but is now getting rid of the pipes which are like new.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:39 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

Hears a set of 2005 org take offs. 4th one down...

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/harley-david...deluxe-exhaust

Quick Reply: How do I find out which year stock pipes fit my bike?