General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the difference between certification and inspection of a motorcycle.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 PM
WilllyD
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What's the difference between certification and inspection of a motorcycle.

I want to buy a Dyna of some kind. I thought if the bike is certified I'm good to go. But now people are telling me to have the bike inspected at a shop before I buy it.
What's the difference? Is it because certification says the bike is road worthy, but an inspection shows how much money I have to put into it?

Thank you.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Probably varies by who is doing the certification, but I'll give it a shot. Some car dealers around here offer what they call certified used cars. These cars meet certain criteria- age, mileage, condition, etc. The dealer may spend some money to get them ready for sale, and they likely come with a warranty. The cost of these vehicles will reflect this. But they may be worth it.
Other used vehicles may be sold "as is", no warranty, what you see is what you get. Taking that type of vehicle somewhere to be inspected might be a good idea to lessen the chances of getting a lemon. Even if you have to pay a mechanic (not associated with the selling dealer) out of your own pocket. Maybe something like that may explain certified vs inspected. Also some states require motor vehicles, including motorcycles to be inspected to keep them on the road.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:38 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

OK... in all my 54 yrs of riding and owning and buy many Bikes... I've never heard of a bike being Certified. --- Nope--- never have...

Inspected -- yes.... either by the Dealer, owner, or seller....

As Brew said above,, I've know of many Car dealers that sell Certified cagers... Period...
and they sell them for $2K or more above the average price...

in the bike world... I've only know of a dealer done inspection or if it's a private sale, then the prospective buyer taking the bike to someone with Knowledge of bike to inspect it.. (IE an INDY)...

""""IF""" the buyer has little or no knowledge of bikes then they should seek others knowledgeable people to see if it good to go, or needs a little work or if it's a complete piece of Junk.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:03 PM
WilllyD
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
OK... in all my 54 yrs of riding and owning and buy many Bikes... I've never heard of a bike being Certified. --- Nope--- never have...

As Brew said above,, I've know of many Car dealers that sell Certified cagers... Period...

in the bike world... I've only know of a dealer done inspection or if it's a private sale, then the prospective buyer taking the bike to someone with Knowledge of bike to inspect it.. (IE an INDY)...

""""IF""" the buyer has little or no knowledge of bikes then they should seek others knowledgeable people to see if it good to go, or needs a little work or if it's a complete piece of Junk.

Sorry I should have elaborated more. I live in Canada. If the vehicle you buy isn't certified here you don't get plates for it. Also no insurance, no plates.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-02-2016 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:37 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 608 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949

I see certified bikes from quite a few dealers.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:58 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by WilllyD
I want to buy a Dyna of some kind. I thought if the bike is certified I'm good to go. But now people are telling me to have the bike inspected at a shop before I buy it.
What's the difference? Is it because certification says the bike is road worthy, but an inspection shows how much money I have to put into it?

Thank you.
Certified or inspected means whatever the seller decides it will define.
Such words are intended to make the buyer feel better about a used product.
The purchase of a used vehicle means it has been used.
Regardless of label, it should be reviewed by someone personally known to you that has some knowledge, unless you are aware of some items to review.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:02 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

In Texas, we have to have ALL vehicles inspected for brakes, tires, horn, gas cap leaks, exhaust emission and things like that. It's always been that way and we do it.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:50 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,702 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Well, apparently none of us below the 49th parallel know anything about Canadian motor vehicle laws, so, hopefully another of our friends from the "great white north" can enlighten us.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:16 AM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Certification in Ontario is like a Safety Inspection in the US.

A safety standards certificate is issued by a government-approved Motor Vehicle Inspection Station after a vehicle passes an inspection. The inspection covers the minimum safety requirements for vehicles in Ontario.
Look for a green and white sign that indicates that a mechanic qualifies as a certified inspector.
You need this certificate when you:
  • register a rebuilt motor vehicle
  • transfer a used motor vehicle to a new owner as fit
  • register a motor vehicle in Ontario that was previously registered in another province or country
  • change the status of a vehicle from unfit to fit.
Vehicles are considered unfit when they do not meet the minimum basic safety standards to drive on Ontario roads.

I can only "assume" that an "inspection" by a shop would go beyond the require safety certificate.

The Seller also has to provide you with a Used Vehicle Information Package.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/buy-or-s...ehicle-ontario

Old 06-02-2016, 10:43 AM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by WilllyD
Sorry I should have elaborated more. I live in Canada. If the vehicle you buy isn't certified here you don't get plates for it. Also no insurance, no plates.
Maybe having it certified means it passes "MINIMUM" standards, your area deems fit for the road (lights, brakes, emissions). My guess is that the inspection people are talking to you about is one that you'd pay an indy to do, that looks more deeply at possible internal problem areas that could effect you down the road.

Quick Reply: What's the difference between certification and inspection of a motorcycle.