General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be prepared for anything

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 05:49 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Be prepared for anything

We have talked about this in other threads but this is a reality all the time . Exiting the highway you get rear ended and pushed into car ahead of you. Lots of on ramps and off ramps are like this in my state. I try to stay over to left or right of cages but not always easy. Why I never put my bike in neutral and chill waiting for traffic to merge. Always some moron texting, or talking on cell phone , or apply in make up, or day dreaming . Hope this guys alright.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/loc...s_in_braintree

Old 06-02-2016, 06:25 AM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah I've had some people come up on me pretty fast at a light but they always stopped in time. It is something I'm always watching though and hopefully lane splitting will be legal one day.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:58 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

You have to always be alert, checking your mirrors. They might all not be out to get you but they still can get you.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:10 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I lived in a town right next door to Braintree, Mass and rode all over there. I was in my early 20's then and had nerves of steel but I doubt I could do it today. In Mass, you can actually drive in the breakdown lanes at certain times of the day (at least when I lived there (1986-92). Hope he makes it.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:01 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I try to always keep aware of what is behind me but sometimes you only have a second to react. I was rear ended at a light a couple years ago but I was watching my mirror and seen it coming. When I seen he wasn't going to get stopped I bolted, aiming between the car in front of me and the car beside him. I was about even with the car that was in front of me when he hit us both shoving me into the intersection but only crumpled my fender and broke my rear lights. I would have been sandwiched between him and the car in front had I not moved.

I wish the best for that rider.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:19 PM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
I lived in a town right next door to Braintree, Mass and rode all over there. I was in my early 20's then and had nerves of steel but I doubt I could do it today. In Mass, you can actually drive in the breakdown lanes at certain times of the day (at least when I lived there (1986-92). Hope he makes it.
It hasnt gotten any better much worse actually. Traffic to BeanTown is worse than ever coming or going.
And the drivers well why else do they call us Mass Holes. Good mirrors, Loud pipes yes loud pipes and nerves of steel help but getting rear ended happens almsot as much as being left turned by a cager.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:15 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts
Old 06-02-2016, 08:58 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I live in Braintree and we drove by it. Actually, we were on 93 and my wife looked down and saw it. This is the first that I actually heard what had happened. I ride into Boston every day and I can honestly say that I find the drivers in cages more respectful of me on the bike than when I am in my truck. Trying to get over 4 lanes of traffic at the speed of about 45 mph in about half a mile so I can ride in the HOV lane can be a bit hairy, but the cagers know what I am up to and they give me the room to get there.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:13 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

That to me is 101 class of what and how to ride..

Old 06-03-2016, 06:48 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,368 Likes on 984 Posts

At Ulmerton and Starkey last week I was stopping for red light - just put foot down and heard a squeal of tires behind me. I ALWAYS stay in gear and to the side of my lane around here when stopped so I can escape QUICK.
I'm already letting out the clutch and going thru the red when I first heard it. WHAM car behind me gets hit - Parts in the air hard. Car behind me gets pushed PAST where I was.
Close one. Again.

Quick Reply: Be prepared for anything