General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar height

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 11:14 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Handlebar height

So I see a used bike at the local dealer that has ape hangers and they are really tall.
Can the dealer sell the bike to someone who would not meet the state law of height of handlebars, or would they tell them they would have to change the bars to legally sell it to them?
For example, here in California, the bars at not supposed to be more than 6" above the shoulders of the rider.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:17 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I can't see where the dealer would care. A sale is a sale. But the law/ticket is your problem.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:11 PM
reacher
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

They also sell bikes that exceed the speed limit. If you choose to ride something in an illegal fashion, that's going to be on you. They won't measure prospective buyers for height.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:14 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Wouldn't the dealer just sell the buyer a few Harley Davidson Genuine Parts catalogs so the height requirement is met?

Old 06-03-2016, 12:31 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboyron
So I see a used bike at the local dealer that has ape hangers and they are really tall.
Can the dealer sell the bike to someone who would not meet the state law of height of handlebars, or would they tell them they would have to change the bars to legally sell it to them?
For example, here in California, the bars at not supposed to be more than 6" above the shoulders of the rider.
If you sat on the bike the bars may not be as tall as they appear. I have 18" apes on my RK and if I sit up straight they are below shoulder height. 6 inches above shoulder would allow for some tall bars. JMO

Old 06-03-2016, 12:38 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Perhaps you need another pastime. I bet you worry about modified exhaust too?

Old 06-03-2016, 05:44 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Interesting legal question. In CA the vehicle has to meet all vehicle code requirements before it can be sold by a dealer but the motorcycle couldn't be found to be non-compliant without a buyer that was too short for the bars. I would say that because of that they can legally sell a bike in CA with whatever bars they want.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Helluva question. I'd like to think you couldn't be sold something that when you pulled out you had no skill with it much less it was adjusted not to your height. I guess it can be played off that you have an endorsement and should be the judge of what you purchase. Who knows? I would like to think that's BS.
I've had HD set my scoot for another to test ride while it was in their shop for service and give it back to me with everything adjusted to that taller person. I don't trust service any longer, I trust me, I trust the local indy I've been dealing with for years but I still double check him.
Today it's about the dollar, yesterday service meant customer service. No longer!
EDIT: Wanted to add, how many of ya still let HD blow that smoke service/salesman pitch up your butt? They dont care about you, only the money gets generated into that store. Wake up, I've got quite few horror stories this last year dealing with a scoot under warranty. Screw them.*laffs. Like I said, it use to be they took care of us, hasn't been like that in a very long time.

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 06-03-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:11 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

6" above the shoulders? Consider yourself lucky, its 15" above the seat here.....

Old 06-03-2016, 07:37 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts

I would think if its a NEW bike and a new bike dealer, it would have to meet all the laws. A used one is a different deal.

Quick Reply: Handlebar height