General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with radio on 92 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 05:11 PM
hays4
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with radio on 92 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Hello, I am needing some advice: and let me preface this all by stating I am on a low budget fix right now.
My OEM Radio has quit in my 92 Electra Glide. I would like to put another one in, but all the retro kits I see cost close to $400. Isn't there anywhere I could send the head unit too to get it fixed?? I tried Iron Cross Radio, but they state this radio is not a Harmon Kardon.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:49 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Did it totally die? If so, you might get lucky: There is an inline fuse inside the batwing on the power feed to the radio. Try that first.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:59 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,619 Likes on 2,094 Posts

You can replace it with a $59 Kraco or any similar single DIN unit. You might loose the ability to use 4 speakers and hand controls but you'll have tunes again. The importance of 4 speakers or hand controls will determine how much you spend. The original HD unit was larger than a replacement unit so you might need to do a little detail work to make the replacement unit look good. I sprayed the metal mounting hardware black before installing it so the shiney metal doesn't stand out from the rest of the unit. I also bought a piece of black plexiglass that I cut to fit around the face inside the original HD rubber gasket.

I used a Biketronics kit on my '94. I did have a problem with the unit after 8 years and they stood behind their lifetime warranty. The pics are the old unit that got caught in a torrential rain storm and died. I replaced it and also purchased the biketronic cover for $20. I also added a layer of plastic over the top of the unit to keep any water that gets inside the fairing from getting inside the unit. These pics aren't great but might help you better understand what you might need to do if you dive into the project.

Attached Thumbnails Help with radio on 92 Electra Glide Ultra Classic-mvc-028s.jpg   Help with radio on 92 Electra Glide Ultra Classic-mvc-032s.jpg