General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with wind

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 07:48 AM
FatKen
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Riding with wind

The wind here today is supposed to be blowing about 20 to 30 mph with higher gusts, I personally do not enjoy cruising down the highway with that much cross wind. Constantly having to lean the bike, then you pass a farm yard that blocks for a few seconds only to send you to the side you are leaning to, then bam the gust hits you again and sends you back the other direction. So my question to you guys is do you highway cruise on windy days or just stick to in town? I don't have a choice as I live out of town and have to take the highway.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:50 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I have a Road Glide. I just go.

The following users liked this post:
103 sedona orange (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

I lived in Wyoming for 12 years so riding in the wind was a daily occurrence. East or west travel wasn't so bad because it's either a headwind or tailwind normally. Going north or south posed a problem for crosswinds as you mentioned. 40-50 mph crosswinds are hard to deal with. Sometimes as you said you don't have a choice but to ride in it so if I had a destination in mind I left earlier and brought the speed down a little. Once I put the fairing on it acted as sail for the wind to catch.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:31 AM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

It doesn't matter what I'm doing, a high wind sucks. I typically am a fair weather rider, so I wouldn't just take off for a cruise if the wind was high but it hasn't stopped me in the past when I had to get somewhere.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:40 AM
FatKen
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

It usually doesn't stop me either as I would much rather ride then drive my truck that gets 11 mpg. It just wears a guy out fighting the constant crosswinds. However Newharleylover I would not have my bike out in those wind speeds.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:49 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Just have to take what the road gives you.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,857 Likes on 4,111 Posts

Texas has its share of windy days. I don't mind riding in the wind. The only disadvantage for me is that I lose 1-2 mpg because of the resistance the windshield creates. I'd rather that than take the windshield off.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:17 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Texas has its share of windy days. I don't mind riding in the wind. The only disadvantage for me is that I lose 1-2 mpg because of the resistance the windshield creates. I'd rather that than take the windshield off.
This...but no windshield. If I want to ride and it's windy, I don't let it stop me. If it did, I might as well be in a car. Wind and motorcycles just go hand in hand.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:32 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

My commute runs through probably the windiest road in NorCal... Vasco Road in East Contra Costa County...

Those windmills have a blade span the length of a football field, & are placed there for a reason.
I remember the first time I rode my Limited through there, I had a death grip on the bars, certain I was going to die lol. Right then a sportbike rider passed me with one hand on the bars & gave me a wave.

What I've since found is that the bike isn't moving anywhere near what I think it's moving. I ride through there now with abandon, get blown around a little, I just kinda let the bike wander a bit rather than trying to control it.

That said I do remember riding through Wyoming decades ago going to/from Sturgis.... not fond memories.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 06-05-2016, 09:38 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

A heavier bike helps a lot. My limited does not get bothered with the wind like my Heritage does. Still, riding in the wind is a skill you just develop over time. ND had LOTS of wind, so we get lots of practice. I agree, a nice sunny calm day is preferable , but way to rare. Just get out there, it will get easier.

Quick Reply: Riding with wind