General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for a cross country trip with new (to me) 2010 FXDWG. Questions, comments, sarcastic jabs all appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Airbournemedic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preparing for a cross country trip with new (to me) 2010 FXDWG. Questions, comments, sarcastic jabs all appreciated.

So I recently purchased my 2010 Wide Glide at the local HD dealership. No frills, basically stock minus the Rush slip-on pipes in black. It had 4800mi when I purchased her. riders familiar with the model know the license plate will need to be relocated before I can attach saddle bags. A local custom bike building shop was trying to get me to get a bag that mounts to the sissy bar instead, saying that theres "no other way". I know thats untrue because I've seen the kits used to relocate the plate (and rear lights?) and seen plenty of pics of my model bike with the plate moved and saddlebags mounted. HD dealership actually gave me a quote of, something like a grand for the kit and some really clean looking, lockable bags. Thats a little out of my comfort zone financially speaking.

Can anyone give me some recommendations as far as a kit and bags go, The bags wont be a permanent fixture on the bike, just for the trip. If I ever decide to make them "permanent" I'd put the dough down but because of the timing, I just need something functional that doesnt look like ****.

Thanks for any input.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:22 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Who said they have to be mounted?
Think about the word "saddle bags", did they bolt saddle bags to horses?
Throw Over Saddle bags generally use just a small bracket to hold the bags away from the wheel.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/830-323

Old 06-05-2016, 09:41 AM
Roro4g63
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I have an 03 WG so my setup is a little different. I suggest a sissy bar bag, but I know your WG probably came with the short bar. Reason I say a sissy bar bag, is you can store more and use as a back rest as well. Also, one large bag to haul when you get to sleep stops. I have an HD tour pak bag I use, and a 40L dry bag to attach on backside of bar if I need more storage.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:00 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't have any tips or tricks for you, but I have seen it done. So, you're not crazy. Are you opposed to leather saddlebags? So much more convenient for off and on.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:39 AM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

The Leather Works Inc has a good selection of high quality leather saddle bags and sissy bar bags. Maybe something they have will meet your budget, and the bonus is good looking functional equipment that the chicks will ooh and aah over. Kiddin about the last part.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:29 PM
Airbournemedic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roro4g63
I have an 03 WG so my setup is a little different. I suggest a sissy bar bag, but I know your WG probably came with the short bar. Reason I say a sissy bar bag, is you can store more and use as a back rest as well. Also, one large bag to haul when you get to sleep stops. I have an HD tour pak bag I use, and a 40L dry bag to attach on backside of bar if I need more storage.
I'm open to that idea, I would just need a taller sissy bar, lumbar support for long trips sounds great, thanks for the input. One concern would be, with that bag riding high like that, I'd be more susceptible to cross winds. Pros and cons on every choice though. I wouldn't hafta move the license plate though...

Old 06-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Roro4g63
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I've taken this setup thru west TX np problems. My only problem was one of my bags shifted because I didn't secure it properly, but it was remedied before we hit really high winds.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

The only bag I use on my 2010 is a Saddlemen's.
I've used it for about 10,000 miles so far- never needed anything else.
http://www.saddlemen.com/ts3200-delu...-bag-universal
I'm leaving Tuesday for another ride to MO.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:48 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Check out www.wolfmanluggage.com. I use the Medium duffle and it holds a 2 man dome tent, sleeping bag, self inflating mattress and lot's of other stuff. Made in USA too.

Old 06-05-2016, 06:52 PM
ropin4gold
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had some boss bags on my superglide. They were "hard" leather and lockable. You could also remove them from the bike easily. Had to do the rear turn signal/lic plate relocation but it wasn't that big of deal.

Quick Reply: Preparing for a cross country trip with new (to me) 2010 FXDWG. Questions, comments, sarcastic jabs all appreciated.