General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total noob looking to buy first Harley

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:58 AM
jgn2112
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Total noob looking to buy first Harley

I looked over this forum and hopefully I'm posting this in the right area. I didn't see any similar threads.
So I've wanted a Harley for 15 years and I'm finally in a place where I can look to get one. Considering I know very little about Harleys, or motorcycles in general for that matter, I've been researching. A popular social website aggregator (I didn't want to name it as I don't know if that's poor form here) has a good sticky post on tips for buying used, and another post on things to look for on a bike with no service history. To avoid a post that's way too open ended, can someone tell me if I'm at least on the right track when looking for a good, used Harley, and what to ask when I go to check it out? Here's the very short version of what I'm up to..
  1. Do you have the service records/history?
  2. When was it serviced last?
  3. Any major repairs?
  4. Has it ever been dropped or in an accident?
  5. Does it have a clean/clear title?
  6. What modifications does it have?
  7. How did you arrive at the sales price?
Does this seem reasonable? What am I missing or what else should I be asking?

Thanks!

Old 06-05-2016, 09:24 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

First, there's a few threads about this. They're just not "out there" to see.
Next, people will always think their bike and the mods they've done to them, are all worth what they're asking. Most/some won't be 100% truthful, since telling the absolute truth might kill the sale.
Finally, what you're asking isn't unreasonable...just be prepared.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:31 AM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

If you know as little as your saying I would recommend having the bike inspected by a mechanic or dealer before you buy. Depending on the price point your looking in will determine how important this is. If your buying a 1-2 year old bike it's probable not as important.
A question that generates some talk on the sellers end is why are you selling? Are they buying another, are they done riding, this question will give you some insight when you start talking price.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:37 AM
jgn2112
6th Gear

Great, thanks. I've read in several places exactly what you said about modifications...the owner liked them, but that doesn't mean they add value to the bike, and a cool mod for one person might not be desirable to another. To be honest, the closer to stock it is, I think the happier I'll be because it'll probably be priced cheaper. I've noticed everyone tends to jack up the price more with the more mods they have.

Kind of a subjective question, but what is considered high or excessive mileage on a bike? For example, here are a few of the bikes on my list...
- 2007 Street Bob, 24000 miles
- 2005 Super Glide, 18000 miles
- 2004 Wide Glide, 14000 miles
Of course, they all look like they're in great condition from the pics and the ads, but I don't know if the mileage is considered high or average. The 2005 Super Glide is actually priced way higher than the Average Retail price when you plug it into the NADA guide (which is what I've read the banks use to determine value).

The following users liked this post:
mike in dallas (06-08-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 09:43 AM
jgn2112
6th Gear

Originally Posted by show-n-go
why are you selling? Are they buying another, are they done riding, this question will give you some insight when you start talking price.
Awesome...Thank you. Yes, I forgot to mention that I'd definitely ask why they're selling. Understand about newer bikes not really needing an inspection if everything seems to be OK. I'm just figuring out how I'd coordinate an inspection...would I leave my license with the owner while I take it to get inspected at a local dealership? I'm not sure how I'd feel about having the owner have it inspected or present an inspection report as that could be biased or potentially serious problems swept under the rug with the "bro hookup" to pull the wool over my eyes.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:50 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

You should learn how to ride a smaller (250cc to 500cc) bike before getting a bagger.

rgk (06-06-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 09:58 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jgn2112
is actually priced way higher than the Average Retail price when you plug it into the NADA guide (which is what I've read the banks use to determine value).
They do use NADA, but have a much lower wholesale value that's not commonly available to us. Bank's/Loan agencies consider the value they can quickly sell if the loan goes into default.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:47 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by jgn2112
Does this seem reasonable? What am I missing or what else should I be asking?

Thanks!
Here's a list of questions you can ask (yourself.)

1. What do I plan to accomplish by getting a Harley?

2. Where am I going to store my Harley?

3. Am I going to learn how to ride my Harley?

4. Am I going to enroll in proper motorcycle instruction to ride my Harley?

5. Am I going to get a smaller, more nimble, easier to negotiate motorcycle, before I get my "dream bike" Harley?

6. Am I going to take riding seriously?

7. Am I going to get (and use) protective gear?

8. Am I going to ride clean/sober/drug free?

9. Am I going to take an advanced rider course after I get my first 5,000 miles of experience?

10. Am I mitigating the risks to an acceptable level (to me?)

There's 10 for you to contemplate. Those are the easy one's too.

Take a class, get some training, wear protective gear & ride sober. Those 4 simple things can help you have a much better motorcycling career.

Then again, I have to say these things as I'm an

jgn2112 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 10:57 AM
jgn2112
6th Gear

Thanks for these. I had asked myself many of these already but I didn't even realize it.
I'm absolutely going to take riding courses. Everything from in-person to videos and even a few books. I used to fly for a living, so I'm aware that, kinda like flying, riding a motorcycle leaves little room, and little forgiveness for mistakes. So taking courses, using safety gear, and riding sober are huge for me.
Thanks for highlighting what was kind of hidden in plain sight from me.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:13 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,502 Likes on 6,631 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Here's a list of questions you can ask (yourself.)

1. What do I plan to accomplish by getting a Harley?

2. Where am I going to store my Harley?

3. Am I going to learn how to ride my Harley?

4. Am I going to enroll in proper motorcycle instruction to ride my Harley?

5. Am I going to get a smaller, more nimble, easier to negotiate motorcycle, before I get my "dream bike" Harley?

6. Am I going to take riding seriously?

7. Am I going to get (and use) protective gear?

8. Am I going to ride clean/sober/drug free?

9. Am I going to take an advanced rider course after I get my first 5,000 miles of experience?

10. Am I mitigating the risks to an acceptable level (to me?)

There's 10 for you to contemplate. Those are the easy one's too.

Take a class, get some training, wear protective gear & ride sober. Those 4 simple things can help you have a much better motorcycling career.

Then again, I have to say these things as I'm an
That's a good top ten list for anyone considering riding a motorcycle. Great post, NORTY FLATZ.

Quick Reply: Total noob looking to buy first Harley