General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic Request: Rear o2 sensor routing

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 08:02 PM
ejewels
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pic Request: Rear o2 sensor routing

Hey All,

I noticed after installing my Vance and Hines big shots that the o2 cable touches the engine as it crosses over under the seat to the wiring on the left hand side of the bike. If anyone has pics of big shots or short shots preferably on a dyna showing the right side of the bike up close to see how the cable was routed, it would be much appreciated. I tried some cable ties but no luck so far.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:23 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

3rd post on the topic and you still can't figure it out huh?
My God Man, why not just put the wire back where you found it?
Or better yet, if you did something "custom" to your bike,, think outside the box and "customize" a wire hanger.
Take the battery out of it's plastic box,, drill two hole in the front of the plastic battery box big enough for a wire tie,, put a wire tie through those holes and tie the O2 wires up,,,
Again,, it ain't Rocket Science.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:01 AM
ejewels
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JohnMn
3rd post on the topic and you still can't figure it out huh?
My God Man, why not just put the wire back where you found it?
Or better yet, if you did something "custom" to your bike,, think outside the box and "customize" a wire hanger.
Take the battery out of it's plastic box,, drill two hole in the front of the plastic battery box big enough for a wire tie,, put a wire tie through those holes and tie the O2 wires up,,,
Again,, it ain't Rocket Science.
This is a public forum made to share knowledge. Before I go Jerry rigging something wouldn't it make sense to see what others have done with similar set ups? Common sense, chief. It ain't rocket science...

Now, if anyone else could share what they did it would be really helpful and much appreciated.

Last edited by ejewels; 06-06-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:31 AM
ejewels
Cruiser

If I wanted to leave the wire slightly touching the engine, would it be a good fix to wrap that section of the cable with heat resistant tape? Do they make a tape that could withstand the heat?

Old 06-11-2016, 12:07 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Go back to the post and phot you made on 5-30 in this topic;
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ll-help-3.html
Do you see the corrugated wire loom in the top right corner that the O2 wire brushes against?
It's exactly the same as the corrugated wire loom I used in the photo I posted 5-31 in this topic;
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...e-routing.html
You said you can't use the method I used because your bike looks different,, well the corrugated wire loom sure looks the same to me.
Just pull/lift the O2 wire up a little and put a tie wrap around it against the corrugated wire loom.
It's too simple,, Why are you over thinking this?
Nobody else will see it, or point out, "Look what he did there"

If you must use tape,, then Yes,, heat resistant tape is made,, it's called Duct tape and/or Flue tape and you can get it at Walmart,, if that's not good enough a simple search for heat resistant tape will lead you to Teflon heat tape @ $50 per roll. Friction tape will work too.
I just used a simple 2cent tie wrap and called it good.

Old 06-11-2016, 03:38 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Wait... What? How is this even a thing. I'm running BSS's with 12mm O2 sensors, it never entered my mind to worry about the positioning of the rear O2 sensor lead; and I'm a mechanical engineer. Plug everything in and go for a ride, good heavens. Wait until you start to finally and actually start riding. The day to day changes, the sounds that occur and then disappear; an HD changes like a woman's heart. Your angst will reach epic proportions; prepare yourself.

JohnMn, harsh but effective; money says the OP doesn't last on HD long

Edit:

Ok, we had our fun; now let's get to the meat of it. OP, step back from the bike; it's a Dyna; put down the tools and look at it. Where do things ride? The engine, transmission, primary AND the exhaust all ride on 3 points; the front isolator, the rear isolator, and the upper stabilizer. That's it; everything is within those 3 points. Your exhaust, including the leads for the O2 sensors move within it. Your exhaust is mounted to the exhaust studs on the cylinder heads and the bracket on the transmission; it moves as they move. Your fears are abrasion of the leads but it won't happen, as long as your exhaust is correctly mounted and torqued, everything within that 3 point arrangement moves together.

Please, fret less and enjoy your HD a whole lot more And stick around, I think you may learn to love these quirky machines...

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 06-11-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:08 AM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You can take a ride to your local Harley dealer and look at the Steet Bobs they have for a comparison. And you can also talk to their mechanic if you are that worried.