General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FortyEight to..something other...

Old 06-06-2016, 03:57 AM
HardRokko
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FortyEight to..something other...

Here I am...
..I've bought 3 months ago a beautiful 48..but..I've noticed that it's not my HD..gorgeous, but (in my opinion) is a 2nd mc or 1st one for younger people..I'm 50 since 1 month (sigh!), then I'm looking something other..so I need any suggestion and experiences you can part with me!..thanks from now on!!

I've 3 models aiming..
SOFTAIL SLIM S (olive gold)..absolutely simple, polish, stunning but lack of accessories (bags and windshield, if like this) ..
HERITAGE CLASSIC..maybe more useful and accessories ready..
ROAD KING..as HSC..but I've tried a 2001 model and I'd no good feedback...

when I decided to change 48 i'd have bought HSC pronto, but (incredible) in May, in Europe, was impossible to order one..no one available!!

..then I had a chance to try an used SSLIM and RK (see over)..

..SSLIM, as HSC is so smooth..maybe less comfort, but catchier and more tipical motorcycle attributes..

my actual strategy is: buy SSLIM now, taking count that is a Screamin'Eagle edition that I don't know if it'll come back in future..and, if I'll be aware about HSC/RK topics needs, in September (when 2017 models ready) change SLIM to one of them..

now..I wait suggestion from all of you that you've so much more experience than me...

Last edited by HardRokko; 06-06-2016 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:25 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

I ride a 1995 Heritage Softail Classic. I can't imagine riding anything else.

What it comes down to is buying a bike that fits you rather than buying a bike based solely on looks.

Rent each. Spend a weekend on each bike.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:36 AM
HardRokko
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Prot
I ride a 1995 Heritage Softail Classic. I can't imagine riding anything else.

What it comes down to is buying a bike that fits you rather than buying a bike based solely on looks.

Rent each. Spend a weekend on each bike.
Thanks Prot!
unfortunately..Italy isn't USA and only thinking to rent something like that is pure mindless..we've to buy about reviews, suggestions, youtube and (if we're lucky) about some ride test (but many times is not right model..as me about 2001 RK)

I've to say that SLIMS fits percfect to me..is very smooth and nimble, only I don't know if its lack of accessories is essential for me: I don't know if my wife will jump on it..bags and windshield are easy to add to SLIM (maybe bags compromise a bit its look)..
Honestly..I think in near future my HD will be an HSC or a RK..but I'm thinking if it's worth amuse myself a bit on SLIMS

Last edited by HardRokko; 06-06-2016 at 04:45 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:29 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Just something to think about. If you buy a motorcycle and sell it a year later it will cost you quite a bit of money in depreciation. If the money doesn't matter to you, that's fine. Just know it in advance.

Get the bike you want. Each of those bikes has it's pros and cons. Only you can decide.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:55 AM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I had never ridden a 48 and always wanted to so I demo'd one at Ohio Bike Week last week. Took it for about a 3 mile run, thought to myself..."Yeah, pretty cool"...and turned right around and was very happy to get back on my Heritage.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:20 AM
HardRokko
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kwn36
I had never ridden a 48 and always wanted to so I demo'd one at Ohio Bike Week last week. Took it for about a 3 mile run, thought to myself..."Yeah, pretty cool"...and turned right around and was very happy to get back on my Heritage.
eh eh..pretty same here..ridden nearly 70km (50miles) to be sure that it's fresh&cool but it's not a bike for me that I'm in 50's
to be honest I've so many feedback from Heritage owners (also in Italian forums) but very few from Slim ones..it seem Heritage is more popular..

Last edited by HardRokko; 06-06-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:45 AM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm 50 and I love the heritage I just bought!

Old 06-06-2016, 08:54 AM
HardRokko
Intermediate

so..it seem could be better resist 'til Sept to buy an Heritage and drop any idea to get a Slim S now...

Old 06-06-2016, 09:17 AM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The Slim S is a great bike...I rode one last Fall on a pretty long demo ride. Loads of fun, but it all comes back to what type of riding you do or plan on doing.

IMO, the Heritage is the best "out-of-the box" bike Harley makes...windshield, bags, passenger pillion/backrest...that is if you're interested in that stuff. The bike is really balanced, planted and goes right where I want it to.

Last edited by kwn36; 06-06-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Going from a Sportster to a Softail is easy. The Softails actually balance better and are more stable.

It all depends on what type of riding you want to do. If you are doing long trips, you'll want more bags and stuff than if you are doing day trips and what not. For me, it was more the latter so I went with the Fat Boy (which is a Softail) as I decided that I did NOT want a bagger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FortyEight to..something other...