General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Engine (Sound) Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 11:40 AM
robturpin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Harley Engine (Sound) Comparison

Hello everyone. I plan to build/rebuild a Harley from scratch, and I thought that I should begin by deciding what type of engine that I like best (and why). My father-in-law has an extremely loud and totally awesome sounding Super Glide (with straight pipes), and I really like the way that it "lobes"! In fact, it idles so slowly that you'd swear that every single breath it takes will be it's last...

I found this short video on YouTube (
) which gives some idea about the different sounds of the various Harley engines throughout years past, but I'd appreciate some help really getting to know the good/bad/ugly of the main engines that I'm going to choose from for my bike.

I'm guessing that each and every one (Flat, Knuckle, Pan, Shovel, Evolution & Twin Cam) has some pretty distinct characteristics worth learning about. Especially with regard to building/restoring a scratch bike. Since I'm not rich by any means, I'll have to balance between the "best"/most common type, my personal favorite and what I can find/afford.

I've ordered a book entitled "The Complete Harley Davidson: A Model-by-Model History of the American Motorcycle", which I hope will be a good (and quite interesting) reference. I just watched a documentary called "Harley Davidson: The Spirit of America", and I found it interesting but primarily focused on Harley riders and the biker culture rather than the actual bikes themselves.

I suppose that's enough for now, please offer any advice and point me in the best direction toward success.

Rob

Old 06-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Bore size, stroke, cam and compression ration will all have different effects on how the engine will sound. That isn't even including the air flow going in and out.

The following users liked this post:
robturpin (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 12:32 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,758 Likes on 6,199 Posts

Idling a bike that slow isn't good for it.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:22 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

you just need to listen and pick the one you like...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...m=vid&start=10

Old 06-07-2016, 01:27 PM
robturpin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Bore size, stroke, cam and compression ration will all have different effects on how the engine will sound. That isn't even including the air flow going in and out.
I get what you're saying - even similar motors can sound much different. Most of these things I can change/adjust to "tweak" the sound & performance, yes?

Old 06-07-2016, 01:27 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
I forsee a lower end problem in the future on that bike.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:33 PM
robturpin
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RHPAW
I'll bet it's not. He hasn't ridden for over 10 years, I rode it the last two times on small local charity rides, and I'm pretty sure that whichever of his two grandsons that inherit it will most likely either keep but never ride it, or get rid of it. Sadly, I'm not even in the running!!

He tells stories of a local ace mechanic named "Mush", who adjusted it because it "didn't sound JUST right". He said that ol' Mush could fix/tweak anything, although I'm sure that his tweaks had more to do with looks & sound than performance.

Originally Posted by GTK
I forsee a lower end problem in the future on that bike.
$10 says it already has...

I find Harley history very fascinating, so I plan to take my time and learn all of the theory behind what I'm doing. I hope to have as much if not more fun learning about them, than I do actually building one.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-07-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:05 PM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Call me odd but there are more important factors than the rpm and sound of the engine's idle when selecting an engine. You can crank down the idle speed of a Harley and make it sound like an old John Deere two cylinder engine but you are starving the engine for oil.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:41 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

The EVO was idling WAY TO SLOW. And where was the shovelhead?

Old 06-07-2016, 03:04 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I'd like another Evo with a 95" kit, baffled 40" slash cut staggered drag pipes.

Quick Reply: Harley Engine (Sound) Comparison