General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another HOG Road Side Assistance thread but this time with a happy ending

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 01:35 PM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Another HOG Road Side Assistance thread but this time with a happy ending

I know a lot of people have had bad luck with HOG Road Side Assistance (aka Road America) but after last week I have nothing but good things to say about the service.

My wife has tubeless laced wheels on her 2013 Road King Classic. She'd just had the rear replaced and we were about 800 miles into a 2,500 mile trip just out side Eagle Pass, Texas when her rear tire went flat in a hurry.

She got it off to the side of the road safely with no issues. I rolled the bike while she looked for a nail or something but nothing was obvious. I tried my portable compressor but the tire didn't seem to be filling at all.

I went ahead and called HOG for road side assistance. Being Memorial Day I assumed they'd have a hard time finding anyone to tow the bike. Lo and behold within 30 minutes they called me back and said they'd found a company in Eagle Pass and they'd be there in about 45 mins.

Now the nearest H-D dealer as Laredo H-D about 100 miles away. The good luck gods were shinning on us that morning and it turned out Laredo was open on the holiday and they were waiting for us.

Sure enough the towing company showed up just about exactly when HOG said they would. We got her bike loaded and headed off for the hour and a half drive to Laredo. Sure enough the guys at Laredo H-D saw the truck pulling in and met us to get the bike unloaded.

When I asked the tow truck driver if he needed me to sign anything he said no, everything was already taken care of.

Our total time on the side of the road was just over 2 hours and 30 mins of that was me messing trying to fill the tire.

I've had to call HOG Road Side Assistance 3 times in the last 10 years. The first 2 times were in the DFW Metroplex so I chalked up the quicker service to a large number of towing companies in the area. This last time was in a pretty sparsely populated area of Texas and a Holiday to boot but I couldn't have been much happier with the service I received.

I think the bottom line is, just like with any service, it's typically only the bad service that gets noted. In this case the service was, quite frankly, better than I expected with the combination of the distance and holiday.

So, for what it's worth, I'm still a fan of HOG Roadside Assistance.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:42 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

OK,now for the rest of this story,Why did the tire go flat?

Old 06-07-2016, 03:38 PM
dsigrist
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
OK,now for the rest of this story,Why did the tire go flat?
The Rim Seal failed; at this point no one seems to know why... Until we figure out why there's a conventional tube in it.

Old 06-07-2016, 04:05 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Did they use both hands this time for that happy ending?

Old 10-30-2018, 04:19 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,208 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Just like any other towing service, it all depends on the location.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:51 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

Thanks for posting this nice report. I am a pretty new biker (2 summers) and have a HOG membership, but reading all the stories here I am always wondering if I
am wasting my money. Good to know there's at least a chance I'm not.

I'm not sure if towing in Canada is different than the USA or not.