General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gettysburg Bike Week And Battlefield

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 07:14 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,189 Likes on 938 Posts
Default Gettysburg Bike Week And Battlefield

Hi All,

Me and a bunch of friends are planning a day ride to Gettysburg the Saturday of bike week. The sad part is I have lived outside of Philly my whole life and have never been there. I have always wanted to go to the Battlefield so while we are there we are definitely going to take a tour.

Was just wondering if anyone has toured the battlefield on their bikes and if so what is the beat way to do it?

Old 06-08-2016, 07:20 AM
puckoach
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would also like to hear the comments !

Good places to stay (not during the rally) too !

Old 06-08-2016, 07:25 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

I've been to the bike show at the Eisenhower center a few times. I've never toured the battlefield on a bike but have done it in a car a long time ago. I understand that they offer a self guided tour of the area. Not sure why this wouldn't work for you. You should also visit the local HD store where they will have a few vendors, food and in the past "The Wall of Death". That area has got some really great roads and I always look forward to riding in that area. Hope you find it as pleasant as I do. I live close enough to that area that it is a day ride for me. The one time I did stay overnight we camped at a local camp ground so unfortunately I don't have any lodging recommendations.

PS. I went to the second rally there a while ago and bought a T-shirt for the event. It's got the rebel flag on the back so maybe it'll be a collectable in the not too distant future!

Last edited by monkeyboy22; 06-08-2016 at 07:31 AM. Reason: additional info.
The following users liked this post:
Scudda (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

First, God bless the troops on both sides and their families that suffered there.
I went there years ago with the family. Very interesting and moving.
My best recommendation, which i did not want to do...hire a guide from the headquarters ther for twenty bucks. They take you to all of the best viewpoints and explain every detail about what happened and they know all of the smaller stories that you might miss...
For example, our awesome guide took us to a spot on the river where troops from both sides would get water at night and talk to each other across the river, sometimes with family members on each side...
Sites where snipers shot officers, etc.
Worth every penny and one of the only times in forty years i admitted my wife was right...lol.
Dont miss in town the lincoln diner good food and history. Also the are a couple houses in town that still hsve cannon ***** stuck in the outside walls to be seen today.
I still remember that a father and daughter, who lived in the area, started to bury the dead soldiers from both sides, all by themselves at first. Thousands of dead soldiers because the dogs were after them. An overwhelming and forbidding task that they did their best to do the right thing.
Well worth doing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rodzilla6:
Redlegvzv (06-08-2016), Scudda (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 09:47 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

My Great Grandfather was 19yrs old when he arrived at Gettysburg on horseback with the 10th NY Cavalry. During the battle, he and a number of others were taken as Prisoners of War. They were sent to Belle Isle Prison, Richmond, Va. where half of them perished during the winter of 63/64. He was ultimately paroled to a POW camp in Annapolis, Md. on a prisoner exchange which was common. He survived, married, and had children including my Grandfather. We have long generations in our family, and longer memories. It is an awesome National Park, I have only been there in a car, and hired a personal guide to give us the tour. Priceless.

Last edited by LoneWoolf; 06-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Scudda (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,574 Likes on 9,799 Posts

Be sure and stop in Battlefield HD, its a neat dealership, usually has a burger stand and music, its a cool pit stop place.

Scudda (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:18 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

The tour others have mentioned is a tour in your car with a tour guide driving. It is great and you will see things you wouldn't see on a self guided tour. On a bike though it wouldn't be possible unless you can find a guide who rides. There is the self guided tour someone else mentioned. It is done with a cd telling you of all the things you are seeing. Have fun. It is a nice town to see with lots of history of course.

Scudda (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:24 AM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

Gettysburg is a beautiful area. I live in the area and you really can't go wrong on any of the surrounding roads through the battlefield. Anytime Gettysburg comes up on here I always recommend the blue and gray bar and grill. Sits right on the square. Good food and wings for a good price. My personal favorite is their pulled pork sandwich.

Scudda (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Keith4001r
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Glidester
Be sure and stop in Battlefield HD, its a neat dealership, usually has a burger stand and music, its a cool pit stop place.
Yeah, and when you do, go see Alex in parts and tell him you know his Pop from HDF. Also, Veterans get a 10% discount on just about everything.

Scudda (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:26 PM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

I haven't been there since I was a kid. Even as a kid I considered it to be Hallowed ground. I remember it as a nice area.

Quick Reply: Gettysburg Bike Week And Battlefield