General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get Slim S or Low Rider S?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:01 PM
horsepower
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I get Slim S or Low Rider S?

I really like the looks of the Slim S. Even had a chance to sit on it. Seat height is just perfect for me. Now comes the Low Rider S. Looks badass aswell. 44 lbs lighter. More hp and torque coz of the exhaust thats included. Scraping the pegs is not an issue for the Low Riders S. Its also cheaper. My problem is we dont have one yet in my country is South East asia. The harley dealer told me I have to place a deposit before they will order one. Also said that stocks are hard to get since this is a new model.
Im just gonna need your initial impressions of the Low Rider compared to the Slim S. How higher is the seat height? Hows the riding position? What are the pros and cons that you have noticed? Im coming from an 08 sportster custom. I love to ride on the twisties. Ive already sold the sporty a couple of years ago. Had even used it touring ang pile up thousands of KM on that trip. Seating position was comfortable. My only complain was the shocks sucks bigtime!!!
Im gonna be using the new harley mostly for short ride trips and maybe yearly longer rides. Also will be used more around town.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:13 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

My initial impressions: Slim S is badass. Lowrider S is cool, I reckon, if you want to ride around looking like all the other SOA fanboys. Don't forget the white tennis shoes, black hoodie and tall lighted rearview mirrors...
If you want a bike for short rides around town and for riding the "twisties," keep your Sportster.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:23 PM
horsepower
Cruiser

Already sold the sporty couple of years ago. What concerns me in the slim s is that from what I read on these forums and magazine reviews is that the floorboard scrapes easily when on the twisties. Maybe A Slim S owner can give me some info on this.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:34 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

Get yourself a used street bob and adapt a slim front end..Did it to my wifes sportster. Went a different route with my street bob but I'm collecting parts to do a street bob FL front end conversion keeping the bobber look like the sportster I did. You can have the slim style on a well handling bike. A member "Crazy" has done it already. I'm planning my next street bob conversion on his style. Footboards and all. Get the best of both worlds-JMO.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:43 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by horsepower
Already sold the sporty couple of years ago. What concerns me in the slim s is that from what I read on these forums and magazine reviews is that the floorboard scrapes easily when on the twisties. Maybe A Slim S owner can give me some info on this.
Yup, the floorboords will scrape on all the Softail models if you lean far enough. It's something you get used to, not something to be feared. The floorboards are hinged, tho, so you still have some leaning room, even while you're scraping. Put some magnesium strips on the part that scrapes if you want to put on a good show...LOL.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:18 PM
One Vision
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As a current owner of a Slim, and a former owner of a Dyna, I can give you some good comparisons.

Dyna is faster, more agile, somewhat easier to convert with more available mods and applicable parts. The Dyna has one of the best looking rear ends on a Harley. That square light is just right in my opinion, and the Dyna's have the most pure Iconic look of a Harley as well, so I like that aspect.

Slim is more comfortable. The height, the handlebars, and most importantly the floorboards. The look of a Bulldog with all the beef in the front is very cool in my opinion.

The entire time I owned my Dyna, I was doing things to try to get it to fit me better. I lowered it, I bought new handlebars, I bought new seats. ANd I was never content, but the Slim I really don't want to touch, I love the design from the factory(Although Id take a Dyna rear end on it if I could )

I like you sat on the Slim and was floored that I would find a stock HD that "fit" me.

Have fun with your choice!

OV

Old 06-09-2016, 10:29 PM
horsepower
Cruiser

One Vision, have you seen the new Low rider S? Have you sat on it? Whats it like? Thanks.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:28 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Not sure if you have seen the new roadster but you might want to check it out as a possible choice. Just food for thought

Old 06-10-2016, 12:41 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 786 Posts

Love the look of the Slim. Argueably the best looking of all Harleys. However, you must know you will drag the floorboards without trying. I rode a standard Slim on an extended ride with the intention of buying it. I couldn't pull the trigger due to the scraping.

I just rode the Low Rider S yesterday on a long ride through the twisties of New York's Adirondack Mountains. I rode back back on a straight and flat highway. I'm 5'9" and it fit me fine. If I owned one I would change the handlebar risers to bring the bars a couple of inches closer as I did on my Super Glide. As for the ride: It was amazing! The torque and horsepower pulled from a stop like a freight train. The roll on power in any gear also pulled me back. The brakes are strong and the nitrogen emulsion rear shocks were very firm but compliant. I leaned it over aggressively without concern of scraping metal. My only complaint is the seat is very firm. Almost all Harleys had terrible stock seats.

Always listen to people's recommendations but try all bikes for yourself. Nobody rides as you do. It's a matter of personal preference.
Good luck!

Old 06-10-2016, 01:20 AM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

This question can't be authoritatively answered because it will be up to you.

Given your history - the Dyna may be a better option - it's a Sportster on Creatine and will have a nicer ride. If you want to minimize (not eliminate) scrapes - that's the one.

Are you able to at least test drive a similar LR and Slim? That's a big thing to buy unseen. I wouldn't do it no matter how convinced I were.

Quick Reply: Should I get Slim S or Low Rider S?