General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheated in Omaha - aborted trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 09:18 PM
Check6
Road Captain

Received 299 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Overheated in Omaha - aborted trip

We started out for Des Moines from Denver yesterday morning. Heat started to build up fast heading east across Nebraska By the time we got to Lincoln, NE the heat index was 108. Wife started to get sick, and I was getting weak. We pulled over on the side of the interstate to douse ourselves with water, but it was so humid we weren't getting any evaporative cooling. Got back on the bike and rode about ten more miles, praying that my wife wouldn't pass out and fall off the bike. Made it to a Holiday Inn on the west side of Omaha.

The forecast wasn't any better for the remainder of the trip so we decided to turn around. Made it back to Ogallala before the heat started back up and bailed around noon and got another room. Both of us feeling much better after a couple hours napping in some air conditioning.

Heading home in the AM. Lesson learned I suppose. We're not in our 20s or 30s any more.

BTW - The fork fangs I put on the bike were not helping matters. I put them there to stop some of the buffeting in heavy traffic. It works for that, but it also doesn't allow wind to blow past th top of the engine and pull it away from us. Bike was running at around 240 degrees. Combine that with 108 degree heat index makes for a miserable damn day. I pulled them off and put them in the saddle bags this morning. It helped a lot until the heat got to be overwhelming again. They'll be staying off until it gets cold again.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:21 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Read it. Learn it. Live it.

http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/i..._62-66_Hot.pdf

I've ridden an 18-hour day in a FF helmet and a full riding suit when the coolest it was was 98 and the highest was 117. Riding in that kind of heat in a T-shirt or mesh is a quick way to die.

The following 4 users liked this post by '05Train:
103 sedona orange (06-14-2016), cjdyna (06-19-2018), FattyMcJ (06-13-2016), ROCKOUT Rocker Products (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 09:25 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,189 Likes on 11,115 Posts

Is it winter yet? Seriously though, you should start your ride at 5am and finish by noon.
Layer your clothing and ride behind a fairing to keep the blast furnace from drying you out. Hydrate.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:35 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Yeah the pirate outfit is not the best in high temps. I work outside for a living. I learned a long time ago about moisture wicking under layers. There are cheaper alternatives than Under armor. Try the Russel brand and a couple others. I then wear light colored cotton blends over the top. Sounds wrong to wear layers in the heat but it works.
Years ago on a trip in heat over 100 my wife did not want to believe me. I got on the bike with under layers and then blue jeans and a long sleeve shirt. I then put on my jean jacket. She was wearing a pair of jeans and a T shirt. A couple hours into the ride we were hunting a WalMart. She bought some and changed in the rest room. After 8 hours of riding we stopped at a hotel for the evening. She wanted to get to Wally World after supper for more. A couple weeks ago we went for a day trip. The temps were not supposed to be high. The weather man lied. Temps were in the mid to upper 90's all day. We got home that night completely worn out. She cursed the weather man. Water and sports drinks are a plus. Lots of water though. Read the labels. Some waters don't have salt in them. I don't drink the ones with salt until summer time. Exposed skin is not good. Look at how the Arabs dress. They know how to deal with the heat.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:38 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train

I've ridden an 18-hour day in a FF helmet and a full riding suit when the coolest it was was 98 and the highest was 117. Riding in that kind of heat in a T-shirt or mesh is a quick way to die.
That link has some great info, thanks.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 06-12-2016, 10:58 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,483 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Is it winter yet? Seriously though, you should start your ride at 5am and finish by noon.
Layer your clothing and ride behind a fairing to keep the blast furnace from drying you out. Hydrate.
Always take secondary roads once I get out of the Bay Area (CA). If I have to cross Nevada in the Summer, I always start early and stop before temps get to the extreme. Good advice!

Old 06-12-2016, 11:33 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train

Yup, riding gear can protect you from far more than asphalt & concrete.
You see, just like a jacket that insulates you from a winter cold temperature, they can also insulate you from heat.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:59 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Omaha has been hot as hell for the past couple of days. Sorry your trip was ruined!

Old 06-13-2016, 04:04 AM
BadDogBiker
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

New to biking, and I always wondered why everyone dressed in layers in the heat. Always thought it would be hot.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:01 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

The best way to survive extreme heat is to start hydrating early. We consistently ride 2up in temps over 100 but you have to plan for it. You need to get some water or Gatorade in you before you start out then stop every hour or so and drink some more.

When traveling in temps that high we just know that around 300 miles or so will be our limit due to so many "water" stops.

Quick Reply: Overheated in Omaha - aborted trip