General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be Alert and Be Safe, My Friends.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:03 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts
Default Be Alert and Be Safe, My Friends.

My best friend works midnight shift and unexpectedly got off work early at 0300 Saturday morning. She was driving down her very dark and unlit country road like a bat-outta-hell and saw a weird dim light on the side of the road. Thankfully she saw it in time to stop right before she ran over a man laying in her lane of travel. The light was coming from his motorcycle that was down in the opposite lane. She called 911 and waited until someone was on the line before she checked on him. As she approached, she then noticed a woman laying behind/beside him. Both unconscious and torn up pretty bad. She stayed with them (male never regained consciousness and was gurgling blood) and held the woman's hand and talked to her until help arrived. The woman said she could only remember him saying "oh Sh*t!!" before they hit a deer at about 55mph. Pretty long story short, the woman has severe back injuries and the male is in intensive care with brain swelling, etc. Please watch out for deer when out at night. I also live in the country and I try real hard to get home before they start moving at night. My friend was in the right place at the right time. No telling how long they laid there and the next person might not have been able to stop before running them both over. This is the 5th motorcycle accident in the county in the last week. The prior 4 were all fatalities.

Last edited by Queen-of-Clubs; 06-13-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:15 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm sorry, but anyone who is doing 55 on a country road @ 3am, is just ASKING for trouble. Most of the time, we create our own destiny...

Old 06-13-2016, 12:17 PM
harley9607
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks, glad your friend found them before something else happened to them!
One time we were out for a ride and came up on a motorcycle that had hit a deer, and it was in the middle of the afternoon. I guess they can surprise you any time of day.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:19 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Wow. That would not be fun coming up on an accident scene like that. What a blessing that your friend was able to stop in time and render assistance.

Late night + deer country + country road = high risk. Gotta keep your pace in line with conditions.

"Vanishing point" is everything.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:21 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,235 Likes on 8,376 Posts

I avoid riding at night like the plague for that main reason.....

Old 06-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,654 Likes on 3,222 Posts

That's some good advice Queen.

This past January I was also heading home on the highway after a night shift, about the same time of night as your friend was, and I hit a deer. Luckily I was driving my pickup and not riding. As deer go it was a small one but it still caused over $12k damage to my truck.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:49 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Accidents are unpleasant regardless if you happen to be involved in one or come across one like your friend did.
Hopefully all will make a full recovery and they are able to thank your friend in person for lending assistance.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:53 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Thanks for the reminder Queen.... Sad Story....
Sometimes in life,It's being at the wrong place at the wrong time.....For the folks on bike...
Sometimes in life,It's being at the RITE place at the RITE time...For your friend.....

Last edited by riteway; 06-13-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:14 PM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your friends being there.
A few years ago one of my high school friends was leaving work late at night on his Harley followed by his on Son a few minutes behind him. Long story short, he hit the Deer and was lying in the road when his own son ran over him. Of course he did not survive. Life is short and can be taken at anytime so make each day count. I love to ride!

Old 06-13-2016, 01:37 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

You're friend is a very good person QoC. They were fortunate she came down that road.

3AM? Wow, I wonder what they were doing before their ride?

The following users liked this post:
1BadAxe22 (06-22-2016)

Quick Reply: Be Alert and Be Safe, My Friends.