General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Impressions / Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:00 PM
ejewels
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stage 1 Impressions / Questions

Hey All,

So I recently installed my V&H big shots along with Arlen ness stage 1 filter and a fp3 tuner on my '15 FXDB. Also have the quiet baffles installed. I finally got to have a ride with it. Love the sound and get a little decel popping but that's normal. I haven't ridden the bike in 3 weeks so my perception may be skewed... but I can't say I felt more power. It almost felt a little less on the low end. Is a stage 1 upgrade very noticeable power wise?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:42 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,631 Likes on 6,665 Posts

Those are not the pipes to put on your bike if you are looking for more power. More for looks & noise.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:54 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

The map isn't right yet, ya know it's correct when ya have very little next to none on decel.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:16 PM
ejewels
Cruiser

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned that I wasn't looking for more power, just wanted to confirm what I should be feeling power-wise with this set up. Maybe the shorter than stock pipes with the tuned fueling and air cleaner even themselves out compared to stock? And the decel pop started minimizing as I kept riding. If it persists I'll try the decel pop settings in the app.

Originally Posted by Tommy C
Those are not the pipes to put on your bike if you are looking for more power. More for looks & noise.
Even for the big shots? The short shots I know are known for less power but I thought the big shots were a tad better for performance.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-13-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ejewels
Even for the big shots? The short shots I know are known for less power but I thought the big shots were a tad better for performance.
A good set of slip-on mufflers or a 2-1 pipe is a much better choice if you want better performance.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:31 PM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Why haven't you ridden the bike for three weeks? Are you ok?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:37 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
A good set of slip-on mufflers or a 2-1 pipe is a much better choice if you want better performance.
Huh? Whoa...depends on the set up. Slip ons are the inexpensive way but do NOT give more power. Two into one? Once again, depends on the set up.
You do remember as a kid building a cross over pipe to balance and give some back pressure?
Maybe my old skewl got passed up, would you care to explain why you chose your input?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:49 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Huh? Whoa...depends on the set up. Slip ons are the inexpensive way but do NOT give more power. ?
You're kidding, right? I have Cycle Shack slip-on mufflers on a 93in Evo that makes 106hp/111tq. There are many folks in the know & many dyno charts posted on the interwebs that show how well a good set of slip-on mufflers perform.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:53 PM
ejewels
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rubberfrog
Why haven't you ridden the bike for three weeks? Are you ok?
yes... I have a baby at home and the wife works like crazy so I just haven't had time along with bad weather on the days I could have. That's why I went out on a Monday at 8pm lol.

But it sounds like my set up isn't meant to be noticeable power-wise. I guess the main benefit is a cooler running engine and sound? It sure sounds awesome. Deep and low.

Last edited by ejewels; 06-13-2016 at 08:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rubberfrog (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 08:57 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ejewels
Hey All,

So I recently installed my V&H big shots along with Arlen ness stage 1 filter and a fp3 tuner on my '15 FXDB. Also have the quiet baffles installed. I finally got to have a ride with it. Love the sound and get a little decel popping but that's normal. I haven't ridden the bike in 3 weeks so my perception may be skewed... but I can't say I felt more power. It almost felt a little less on the low end. Is a stage 1 upgrade very noticeable power wise?
You have to dig around on the forum, but the consensus is a 2 into 1 pipe will give more power and a true dyno tune by someone that knows what they are doing will make a difference. Nothing wrong with the FP3, but no replacing a good dyno. For me I went with Vance and Hines 2 into 2 with a "cool" breather. Yep, mostly for looks, but I did feel more pull. Ride on!

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Impressions / Questions