General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried the Kendon Single Ride-Up SRL Stand-Up Motorcycle Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:26 PM
STREAK
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Anyone tried the Kendon Single Ride-Up SRL Stand-Up Motorcycle Trailer

Seems biggest complaint I heard w/ Kendon Trailer was pucker factor going up / coming down ramp...
Anyone tried this one? Seems it resolves the pucker factor issue.

Old 06-14-2016, 02:57 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Yep, I have one. Pucker factor is still present. While the trailer does compress slightly under the weight of the bike as it loads, it certainly does not come anywhere near flat. Perhaps pucker factor will go away with hundreds of mounts and dismounts, but it stays very fresh with only a handful of uses. Several things which help:
1) make absolutely certain that your hitch ball is no more than 21" from top of ball to ground [any higher, and the bike wants to roll out of the chock];
2) when loading, try to have the trailer on a very slight decline [this diminishes a roll back if you've made it onto the bed of the trailer and you disengage the clutch prematurely];
3) when unloading, try to have the trailer on a slight incline[this helps pulling the bike back out of the chock and allows a free roll rather then having to walk the bike onto the ramp].

Other than that, practice, practice, practice.

The following 2 users liked this post by sailmotion:
Capt Steve (06-14-2016), STREAK (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 03:02 PM
STREAK
Road Master

Thank you Sailmotion (nice bike).. so, pucker factor prevails .. dang! It does look like ramp is wider though, so at least you can have your feet on the ramp, correct?

I did hear a person on another forum that put wooden boxes on each side of the rail ramp so he could stand on them.. clever!

Old 06-14-2016, 03:06 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by STREAK
Thank you Sailmotion (nice bike).. so, pucker factor prevails .. dang! It does look like ramp is wider though, so at least you can have your feet on the ramp, correct?

I did hear a person on another forum that put wooden boxes on each side of the rail ramp so he could stand on them.. clever!
Yes, if you keep a nice tight stance, your feet remain on the ramp the entire way down/up. Make sure your passenger floorboards/pegs are up so you are not inclined to take a step and have your feet forced outward beyond the edge of the ramps.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Received 244 Likes on 90 Posts
Wink Kendon Trailer mod...

I recently picked up this nice, lightly used 2002 Kendon single bike trailer. Being an older model it does not have the full width loading ramps shown in the video. There is a lot I like about this design but loading looked like it might be more of an adventure than I signed on for so I came up with the following modification:

The potential problem loading is where do you put your feet to steady the bike going both up and down. I created a set of foot rails using 2 X 8's and connecting them with a combination of eye hooks and j bolts {could not find hinges heavy enough with the ability to pull their pins}.

The eyebolts are screwed into the rear ends of the two rails that bolt down onto the trailer itself. The j bolts are screwed into the forward ends of the rails that parallel the loading ramp and simply drop into the open eye's and act as hinges to match the angle of the loading ramp. When loaded and ready to roll or unloaded and ready to store the trailer, the rear set of 2 X 8's just stow in the storage bay of our motorhome.

Also added a tongue jack {$19.95 at Harbor Freight, rated at 1,000#}:

Lastly I replaced the trailer tires {they looked fine but were 5 years old}, with a pair of new Maxis and carry a new 13" spare. I have yet to load my Dyna SG but we did load my buddies BMW 1,000 {his old CHP bike}, at 800+# it was heavy but the two of us were able to just push/roll it up onto the trailer{before i added the foot ramps}, so don't know yet how well this will work but I think it should. Having the 2 X 8's for both of my feet all the way up/down onto/off of the trailer should make for easy loading. I'll follow up with a report as soon as we return from our next trip {I will be towing the Dyna SG behind our 24' Class C motorhome}.

Last edited by Capt Steve; 06-14-2016 at 10:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
STREAK (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 04:16 PM
Bonneville Racer
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a Kendon 2 place and it is by far the best motorcycle trailer made IMO.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:50 PM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

I have this one, which is very similar to the Kendon. It has a full width ramp and torsion axles. No pucker factor loading it and it pulls great. I got it on CL a couple years ago for $700. I am not at home and don't remember the manufacture but remember it was made by a company in Bradenton, FL.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:02 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,281 Likes on 2,349 Posts

I have used the single rail Kendon several times. I'm a sticker about safety rules , Kendon does not recommend riding the bike the rail. If you want to do this I suggest a good coating of non-skid paint on the rails. My mod consists of a 600 lb. rated winch, like you would find on a boat trailer, on a square post. I would put a couple of soft ties on the lower tree, place the hook in the ties and while the wife cranks the winch I would walk the bike into the chock, tie the bike down then take tension off the hook, stow the hook, stow the ramp and you're ready to go. Good trailer.

The following users liked this post:
Capt Steve (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 08:54 PM
STREAK
Road Master

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
I recently picked up this nice, lightly used 2002 tendon single bike trailer. Being an older model it does not have the full width loading ramps shown in the video. There is a lot I like about this design but loading looked like it might be more of an adventure than I signed on for so I came up with the following modification:

The potential problem loading is where do you put your feet to steady the bike going both up and down. I created a set of foot rails using 2 X 8's and connecting them with a combination of eye hooks and j bolts {could not find hinges heavy enough with the ability to pull their pins}.

The eyebolts are screwed into the rear ends of the two rails that bolt down onto the trailer itself. The j bolts are screwed into the forward ends of the rails that parallel the loading ramp and simply drop into the open eye's and act as hinges to match the angle of the loading ramp. When loaded and ready to roll or unloaded and ready to store the trailer, the rear set of 2 X 8's just stow in the storage bay of our motorhome.

Also added a tongue jack {$19.95 at Harbor Freight, rated at 1,000#}:

Lastly I replaced the trailer tires {they looked fine but were 5 years old}, with a pair of new Maxis and carry a new 13" spare. I have yet to load my Dyna SG but we did load my buddies BMW 1,000 {his old CHP bike}, at 800+# it was heavy but the two of us were able to just push/roll it up onto the trailer{before i added the foot ramps}, so don't know yet how well this will work but I think it should. Having the 2 X 8's for both of my feet all the way up/down onto/off of the trailer should make for easy loading. I'll follow up with a report as soon as we return from our next trip {I will be towing the Dyna SG behind our 24' Class C motorhome}.
Great mod!!! excellent idea

Old 06-14-2016, 08:57 PM
STREAK
Road Master

Originally Posted by sunderhill

I have this one, which is very similar to the Kendon. It has a full width ramp and torsion axles. No pucker factor loading it and it pulls great. I got it on CL a couple years ago for $700. I am not at home and don't remember the manufacture but remember it was made by a company in Bradenton, FL.
1st.. thank you for your service to our country! (see you are retired Navy!) .. Nice trailer.. is this fold up? My issue also is that I have to store in garage so don't have the space for anything that will not fold up..

Quick Reply: Anyone tried the Kendon Single Ride-Up SRL Stand-Up Motorcycle Trailer