General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dragon not so nice guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 02:42 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

I have been to the tail 3 times in the last 2 years, it's a fun road, I like challenging tight technical roads, up to a certain point, devils highway was stupid long.

I like to slide over and let the sport bike riders pass, then ride their asses if they don't know how to ride. I've been riding 30 years now and a good chunk of it has been spent learning to go fast, the guys that really know how to ride will walk off and leave me, most of the kids out today on sport bikes are point and shoot squids they haul *** down the straight then park it in the turns, there are no straights on the dragon it's constant corner entry and exits transitioning together. Either way I have fun and the real fast guys don't have me holding them up. Trust me take a valium, be courteous no matter what you ride there's room for everyone to ride their rides and have fun. It just takes a few jackholes to mess it up for everyone.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:22 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I think bettingpython has a point. I have let so called fast bikes that were behind me pass, only to be held up by them in the next set of curves. Seems that going fast in a straight line is okay, but accelerating through corners is something still to be learned by many.

I am ornery enough that if you ride my ***, you just might be there a while. However, if I see you coming fast and holding at a safe distance, I will find a way to wave you past safely. What I am saying is, if you are a dangerous self centered *******, I am not worried about making you watch my exhaust pipes. If however, you are hard riding, but willing to wait a few curves til it is safe, I'll help you anyway I can.

I cannot even think of a time that I held someone up. I rarely have that problem, but be an ******* and I would be happy to give you something to talk about with your friends when you finally catch up to them.

Even though I ride mostly a touring bike, I generally catch up to the hard riders in the curves and let them blast ahead on the straight away. If we are doing 65 in the curves, I just don't see the sense in racing to 80 on the straight away and then braking to 45 for the curve.

I've had a few come up to me and ask if my bike was modified. I just tell them to watch the "Twist your wrist II" on YouTube and soon enough, they'll be so long gone that I'll never catch up.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:27 PM
LonestarXL
Road Captain
Received 283 Likes on 108 Posts

I don't mind sliding over and waiving someone past. I won't risk my life to do so, but it's the courteous thing to do.

And if you think you don't need to or shouldn't, (and I used to be in that camp), remember, sooner or later the asshat behind you is going to get frustrated and try and pass you any way he can, and at that point, your life IS in danger.

I view it as the lesser of two evils. You get Squidy McSquiderson behind you, and you can either 1) waive him past in a semi safe place to do so of your choosing, or 2) wait till his head nearly explodes and he roars past you on a blind curve.

I've been around and seen several near misses because of this, and my whole idea of riding now is, getting as far away as possible from those clowns. If that means sliding over and waiving them by in a safe place, then so be it, I'm cool with it, see you down the road hopefully still in one piece.

I sold my sport bike years ago, I have no desire to relive those days or ride my current bike like that at all.

Last edited by LonestarXL; 06-29-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:22 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
The roads I ride now make the Dragon's Tail look like a straight line ... I've been all over the area, many times over the years and while there are great rides to be had ( almost everywhere ) I'm sure that you'd be hard pressed to find a road with more twists and turns ... just sayin'
Ever try Copperhead Rd ride? 956 curves, 110 miles with 5 mountain crossings. You can add a bunch more curves and another mountain crossing if you add the Joppa mountain Rd. Some nice switchback curves going 10 mph and 25% grades going uphill.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

There are lots of twisty mouintain roads. Deals Gap is unique in that there's something like 12 or 14 miles without significant elevation change, no intersections, houses, or driveways.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:14 PM
Wraith04
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Just did the Dragon again about a month ago, probably the last time I need to ride it, too many wannabees without the most basic courtesy for their fellow bikers. If you want to squid it up, don't come there Fri-Sun, ride there when it isn't packed instead of trying to intimidate those that want to obey the speed limit and cruise.

I have zero respect for others that think they own the road whether on a bike or in a car.

Our group did the Cherohala Parkway the same time and a couple of dicks on V-stroms pulled some crap passing us without respect to our group that was running above the speed limit. What the f#ck is up with everyone being in that big of a hurry that they don't care about bike spacing or general safety?

Old 07-01-2016, 03:28 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Obviously not many people on this thread work for the "Dragon Chamber of Commerce!" I was born in Colorado and have done some roads here that would probably make your Dragon look like a Sunday stroll. I am talking out of my *** because I have never done your Dragon but, I have never once seen any behavior like you describe on any tourist road in Colorado. Trailridge, Red Mountain, even Pikes Peak. Most everyone is very civilized and just enjoying the view.

This thread makes me want to erase this stupid road from my wish list.

You are all most welcome to come to Colorado and see our Roads and most people will leave you alone.

The following users liked this post:
Wraith04 (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 11:58 PM
rocknrick
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Dragon: 318 curves in 11 miles. Do the math.
A road just can't have more curves and be safe for everyone at different riding skills, not to mention trucks and sight-seers. Anyone running up your but, or you running up their's, without providing for the opportunity to pull over in a safe location, is a jerk. If you want to ride it like you stole it, go early on weekdays like I do....
Uhhhh, just my humble opinion.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:21 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
All the Road Ragers in this thread are hilarious. They won't do anything. Not one damn thing but give themselves ulcers. Just slobber spit with their childish anger issues.
Anger and hate is like drinking poison hoping someone else will die

Old 07-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

I've never ridden the Tail of the Dragon, and don't have any intentions to do so. There are enough wild roads here in Kansas to keep me happy for years. Nothing like riding good ol' HW 31 west of Burlingame KS. It has 2 curves in 11 miles! I've ridden through one of the curves, but that was enough for one day. I might try doing both curves sometime this summer if I feel brave. Here is a photo of HW 31, and another one of the first curve. It's a full 90 degree turn!

As far as traffic around here goes, most people operating a combine or driving a pickup will wave a motorcycle on past when it's safe.

The following 2 users liked this post by Frank the Real Biker:
DuciDay (06-09-2020), son of the hounds (07-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Dragon not so nice guy