General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Selling Bike - With Accesories vs. Without

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 12:00 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thoughts on Selling Bike - With Accesories vs. Without

I know the market is very soft right now for used bikes. Having mine for sale for a few months I certainly can tell first hand.

I'm considering removing many of my upgrades / accessories on my Road King and returning the bike as much to stock as possible. I have most if not all the factory parts.

I've certainly had interest in the accessories from members here. That said what's your opinion on selling my bike with all the accessories vs closer to stock. Would I have more luck selling a more stock Road King?

Thanks!

For Sale Ad

Old 06-16-2016, 12:08 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Unless I was getting another bike the accessories would fit on, I'd sell the bike with them. What'd be the point in keeping them, if they didn't fit the next bike?

Old 06-16-2016, 12:16 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Unless I was getting another bike the accessories would fit on, I'd sell the bike with them. What'd be the point in keeping them, if they didn't fit the next bike?
Yes. Apologies.

Remove them and sell them separately from the bike.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:21 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

I would do it for the high value mods. They would significantly reduce what you need to get out of the bike, and may help it move. I wouldn't bother with the cheaper light eyebrows and such. They may make the bike stand out among the sea of used bikes.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:22 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

It's pretty much known to any non-delusional person that an accessorized bike doesn't sell for any more money then a stock one. I would remove them and return it to stock. When a buyer comes around, make the deal on the bike. THEN see if he/she wants dibs on any accessories for additional cost at a discount. If not, post them on here, ebay, craigslist, etc. If you don't to bother with all that, then leave them on, give the buyer all the stock parts, and be done with it.

The following users liked this post:
bradn (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 12:41 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Take 'em off.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:50 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

If you pull off the accessories and piece them out you will likely get somewhere around 50-60% on the dollar.
If you leave them on the bike you will likely get 10-20% on the dollar but will likely sell the bike a lot quicker.

So I think it just depends on how badly you want to sell the bike.
There are a lot of stock Road Kings out there so if you pull off the accessories the competition goes up.

When I bought my Heritage there was one just like mine sitting next to the one I bought and the asking price was about the same.
I quickly figured that my Heritage had between $3-5K more accessories than the other Heritage.

I asked the dealer (after I made my deal) why the other bike wasn't cheaper than the one I bought.
He said the accessories sell the bike quickly but not for much more money.

Last edited by Bluraven; 06-16-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:51 PM
-RocknRoll-
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid-Night-Rider
It's pretty much known to any non-delusional person that an accessorized bike doesn't sell for any more money then a stock one. I would remove them and return it to stock. When a buyer comes around, make the deal on the bike. THEN see if he/she wants dibs on any accessories for additional cost at a discount. If not, post them on here, ebay, craigslist, etc. If you don't to bother with all that, then leave them on, give the buyer all the stock parts, and be done with it.
Originally Posted by Hippie49
Take 'em off.
I definitely agree.

In general, you'll always minimize your losses by removing your extras and replacing them with their stock counterparts, if you've kept them(smart). Your extras lose much less individually than the value they add by leaving them on. Customization can be so specific, that chances are the next owner is going to add or remove items and customize as he/she sees fit. The same is generally true with cars, trucks, jeeps, guns etc.

Old 06-16-2016, 01:14 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member

This is great feedback. Any thoughts on where I'm priced at currently with the accessories?

Thank you all!

Old 06-16-2016, 03:59 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by reesestewww
This is great feedback. Any thoughts on where I'm priced at currently with the accessories?

Thank you all!
If it's been for sale for a couple of months, you are priced too high for your geographical area. Right now, it is already so freaking hot in Florida that the number of bikes I see on the road has dropped down.

If you take the accessories off, I would not try and get a buyer to ante up for them at the time of sale.

As a buyer, if I knew there were removed accessories for a bike I was going to pay $10K+ for, I'd be telling the seller that my highest offer included the accessories. Or I'd walk.

Selling used bikes has a lot to do with ability to finance, consider the "rider to rider" financing that HD offers.

GLWS

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Selling Bike - With Accesories vs. Without