General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Thieves?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 06:36 PM
BadDogBiker
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bike Thieves?

Anyone ever had any troubles with any? Would it be wise to conceal carry in the event it could be possible? I understand most bikers share a bond few interest groups do, just considering everything since I got my first Harley.

Old 06-18-2016, 07:11 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

You better look at your state guns laws to see if protection of property allows lethal force. Even if it is covered, Insurance is cheaper than the wrongful death civil suit you'll get from the surviving family.

The following users liked this post:
mjrfd99 (06-19-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 07:24 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Look, I am as big a 2A supporter as you will find, but if you are going to kill someone over a bike, you would be better off owning a car.

The legal fees to try to keep you out of jail , just while waiting to get to trial would be more than the bike is worth.

Bail would cost the same

Your legal fees for trial would bankrupt you, and even if you get a sympathetic jury and are found not guilty, your reputation will be shot.

I could go on, but you get my point by now.

If you are in imminent danger of grave harm, then have at it, 2 shots center mass, or the largest area of exposed flesh, or hell take a head shot or two if you have to in order to stop the threat, but you would be hard pressed to justify killing or injuring a person over a bike.

I would suggest you find a copy of Massad Ayoob's book " In The Gravest Extreme" and read it... TWICE

The following 3 users liked this post by Neggy ZRXOA 5248:
bad tappets (06-19-2016), MajorKG (06-18-2016), mjrfd99 (06-19-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll respond to the thievery question. As for me and right or wrong, I don't worry about theft at bike events. As OP states there is a certain comaradarie among bikers and a pretty widely accepted code not to mess with others' equipment without consent. I do worry about bike theft when on tour...when spending the night in some hotel in Podunk Junction. Park under the car port if they will let you, or park outside of the window of your room. Some, I hear, even get ground floor rooms and have been known to bring their bike in the room with them. Lock everything you can: ignition, bags, steering, and use a brake disk lock. I like to use a bike cover that doesn't say "Harley" and park next to a bike that isn't covered, hoping they steal his not mine. All of these strategies slow down the amateur thief. They are but minor annoyances to the professional bike thief. As said, pay for good insurance.

As for the gun, guns are to protect against bodily harm, not bike theft.

Last edited by Captain Bligh; 06-18-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:39 PM
BadDogBiker
Cruiser

Look i'm not some psycho killer or anything but was raised to take care of your own. Seems the general consensus is to let them take it and hope to god insurance fully reimburses you?

Old 06-18-2016, 07:45 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

At this very moment my i am relaxing in my room at the Argo Hotel in Crofton. My bike is parked out front.

My odds of being eaten by a moose are greater than my odds of having the bike stolen. I'm not going to waste a moment worrying about either.

BadDogBiker (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 07:46 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by annihilata420@yahoo.com
Look i'm not some psycho killer or anything but was raised to take care of your own. Seems the general consensus is to let them take it and hope to god insurance fully reimburses you?
Yup & take as many security precautions as you can. When traveling I put on a disk lock, and the HD Kryptonite Cable lock. I also have a Spot GPS tracker, that notifies me if the bike moves, and I can get updates. But, I wouldn't shoot someone over a material item.

BadDogBiker (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 07:50 PM
BadDogBiker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Yup & take as many security precautions as you can. When traveling I put on a disk lock, and the HD Kryptonite Cable lock. I also have a Spot GPS tracker, that notifies me if the bike moves, and I can get updates. But, I wouldn't shoot someone over a material item.
I do plan on going on long rides this summer once the bike is ready. All good tips thank you from a new rider.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by annihilata420@yahoo.com
Anyone ever had any troubles with any? Would it be wise to conceal carry in the event it could be possible? I understand most bikers share a bond few interest groups do, just considering everything since I got my first Harley.
Running around with a segregate dick in your waistband isn't going to stop a bike thief, by their very nature they do it when your not around. Find something else to obsess over...

Old 06-18-2016, 08:37 PM
BadDogBiker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Running around with a segregate dick in your waistband isn't going to stop a bike thief, by their very nature they do it when your not around. Find something else to obsess over...
Just asking a few questions sheesh. One guy thinks i'm a killer and one thinks i'm obsessing. Forget I ever asked. /thread

Quick Reply: Bike Thieves?