General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My street bob is made in India

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 11:36 PM
zakaria777
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My street bob is made in India

I just purchased a brand new 2016 Street bob form my local Harley dealer in Canada. I started having serious rotor issues, spoke issues, and front dampening issues and Neck bearing issues, "all info posted in my other thread". I did a serial number search on the Harley recall website and found out I got a bike made in India !! I don't know if they are being shipped to the US, but we are getting them in Canada now. Check your serial number !!
They build the 500street, & the 750street and the street bob in Bawal India. The 103 engine is a low compression version "not the same engine as the other Harleys". I believe that,..my bike has Zero power ! I had to dig deep and find out all this on my own. I am returning my bike to the dealer. I was led to believe this was a US built bike. I wondered why I got it for $12000 taxes in. The other models were thousands more. I feel totally betrayed by my dealer. The build quality is awful !! Buyer beware !

Old 06-27-2016, 12:27 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Return it for a full refund then.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:20 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you believe Wikipedia?

Harley-Davidson India is a wholly owned subsidiary of Harley-Davidson, based in Gurgaon, Haryana, India.[3] Harley-Davidson India commenced operations in August 2009 and appointed its first dealership in July 2010. [4]

Harley-Davidson offers a range of 11 models in India from each of its six platforms – Sportster, Dyna, Softail, V-Rod, Touring and Street – in addition to a full range of parts, accessories, and general merchandise, available through authorized dealerships. The company has 15 dealership facilities across India: New Delhi, Gurgaon, Chandigarh, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Kochi, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Indore, Pune, Goa and Jaipur.[5] [6] In 2011, The company has also set up an assembly unit at Bawal, Haryana. In 2011, Harley-Davidson India began the assembly of its Sportster line followed by the assembly of the Dyna line in 2012 and Softail line in 2013. In 2014, Harley-Davidson began manufacturing the Street 750 and 500 motorcycles in India - at Bawal, Haryana India, its only manufacturing facility outside of the US.[7] The Street platform is jointly manufactured at Harley-Davidson’s US and India plants. The Street 750 is also exported to Europe and Asia markets from India.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:21 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

That sucks. Another example of "White man speak with forked tongue." I thought they were for Eurasia only?
That would really **** me off.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:24 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

I am not sure if that Wikipedia article is entirely accurate because it is basically saying all of the bikes have been made in India for a few years and the Streets were just the latest model and was assembled from the start. I think what is really taking place is the Dyna's etc that are being assembled there are for that market. The omission of key information changes the meaning significantly.

If in fact most of the big twins were being assembled in India and shipped here, people would have been up in arms. Besides, what the heck have the US plants been doing if that was the case? Just building touring bikes and trikes? The production numbers for touring bikes have not increased enough to have converted those other assembly lines to touring bikes and I don't think there have been closures and massive layoffs.

It is just about 330 am so what I am typing may not make sense.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:33 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Originally Posted by zakaria777
I just purchased a brand new 2016 Street bob form my local Harley dealer in Canada. I started having serious rotor issues, spoke issues, and front dampening issues and Neck bearing issues, "all info posted in my other thread". I did a serial number search on the Harley recall website and found out I got a bike made in India !! I don't know if they are being shipped to the US, but we are getting them in Canada now. Check your serial number !!
They build the 500street, & the 750street and the street bob in Bawal India. The 103 engine is a low compression version "not the same engine as the other Harleys". I believe that,..my bike has Zero power ! I had to dig deep and find out all this on my own. I am returning my bike to the dealer. I was led to believe this was a US built bike. I wondered why I got it for $12000 taxes in. The other models were thousands more. I feel totally betrayed by my dealer. The build quality is awful !! Buyer beware !
I am not so sure about claims of lower compression. Even California bikes have the same compression and cams as 49 staters.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:44 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

OP bought the motorcycle from a Canadian dealer. That is an international model, not US.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:08 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Good luck getting your money back. The dealer will most likely have to get approval for a refund from the Harley Davidson home office........in Gurgaon.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:34 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

You can see this coming and we will never know until the layoffs come around after the
election is over. We buy the clothes and parts made everywhere why not the bikes.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:51 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

If you really read the article, it states that the bikes made in India are for the Indian market.... Except the Streets which seem to be made for the International market.

I'd like to see the sources for the information on this lower compression motor and big twins made in India for Canada, etc. before I totally buy into the Internet hate.

Unfortunately the 'globalization' of industry is happening in many markets...

Quick Reply: My street bob is made in India