General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider down - but all is well!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 03:59 PM
Jason Oates
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rider down - all is well! (photo heavy)

Well, I've hit another milestone in my riding career, and unfortunately unlike finishing the MSF course, buying a bike, first long ride, etc., I had my first accident yesterday.

I've been riding for three years now with no issues, always careful and observant but it really does take "just that one time" to have an issue. Luckily someone was watching over me and there was unbelievably small damage to me and my baby.

I was riding in Virginia, on the GORGROUS Rt 211 going into Luray, a route that I've been on numerous times with two bikes. I was going uphill, slowing down to prepare going into a nice curve, apparently a bit too fast, continued to lean and eventually lost traction on the rear wheel and began to slide. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic and the bike and I slid to the next shoulder. Again, luckily, I was able to get right up, did a self-check and was mostly ok (smaller abrasion on my knee). After making sure I was ok, I tried to get the bike right up, nope. With the angle it was on, it ain't gonna happen with just me, and any technique, haha. What sucks then, NO cell phone signal! Ugh. Long walk and a nice passerby got me uphill and then I walked back down a good ways. Eventually a tow truck arrived, helped me right it up and SOMEHOW there was no serious damage and I was able to ride her home! Obviously a little shaken, it was oddly a therapeutic to ride back! And hey, that annoying exhaust rattle is gone now! Ha

Lessens learned - you can never be too careful, engine guards are awesome, even a little fun might be tad too much, boot ain't fun to do extends waking in (LOVE these boots over the years, but the blisters that ensued suck!), luckily my phone was charged but for anyone else I'd HIGHLY recommend having one of those small usb battery backups just in case), backup water bottle was a good choice (91 degrees), and helmets are also nice!

Now to have insurance "pay me back" and get my baby all cleaned up so I can get back out and ride!

Now I just gotta tend to the pride....

Ride safe guys!

Small chips on the back of the helmet was surprisingly all (still going to be replaced though....not going to temp fate).

Small abrasion on the knee.

Apparently I hadn't been the only one here....with the sport bike parts strewn around.

A previous photo - fun road! Punch in the gut now, ha

Last edited by Jason Oates; 06-29-2016 at 04:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
soldierbot (08-30-2021)
Old 06-29-2016, 04:06 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I'm just glad you walked away,and in pretty good shape it seems.

The following users liked this post:
racersmomma16H (06-30-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 04:22 PM
squirrelsnest
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,380 Likes on 2,647 Posts

I've been on that road......slow driving on the curves and still scary!
Glad your OK....bike can be fixed.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:39 PM
Jason Oates
Tourer

Originally Posted by squirrelsnest
I've been on that road......slow driving on the curves and still scary!
Glad your OK....bike can be fixed.
Haha; It is a great road! I used to have a ton of fun with my former Wide Glide and scraping pegs around those turns! I had a good amount of fun with my current Street Glide on this route before, but that one time with just a bit faster than intended and it was a bit too much. I'll be back!

Old 06-29-2016, 04:44 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Glad you are okay, now post wreck analysis, you went into a turn hotter than expected, it happens, now you need to ask yourself some questions

Why did the rear lose traction? Did you high center on the foot board bracket from too much lean angle or Did you grab the binders? Was there sand or oil in your cornering line? How many miles are on the tires, was the tire pressure correct for the tires?

I have literally had the foot board scraping at 60+ mph in a tight turn and only once had the '13 SG step out on me, that was a spooky experience I fed it a little too much throttle too soon, the 16 RG high centers on the bracket before the board touches.

Again not criticizing this is just post wreck analysis to see what you need to do different... other than slowing down a little more.

The following 2 users liked this post by bettingpython:
Deuuuce (06-29-2016), ncdeekay (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 05:02 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Glad to hear you're pretty much unscathed. Now hopefully your insurance company takes care of your beautiful bike. Glad to hear you're not taking any chances on the helmet even though the visible damage is minor. A new lid is a small price to pay for it maybe saving you from something more serious. Great advice from bettingpython on a post wreck review on what might have been different. Nothing like this should ever be passed up when it comes to learning what we all could do a little better. Again, glad you're OK!

Old 06-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 711 Posts

Just asking here. When you tried to lift the bike did you do so with your back to the bike with one hand on the right handle grip and the other just under the seat?
Only asking as that is the suggest way I have seen demonstrated. It doesn't look like there is much room between the bike and the guard rail so lifting may not have been possible like that?

Old 06-29-2016, 05:29 PM
Jason Oates
Tourer

Originally Posted by bettingpython
Glad you are okay, now post wreck analysis, you went into a turn hotter than expected, it happens, now you need to ask yourself some questions

Why did the rear lose traction? Did you high center on the foot board bracket from too much lean angle or Did you grab the binders? Was there sand or oil in your cornering line? How many miles are on the tires, was the tire pressure correct for the tires?

I have literally had the foot board scraping at 60+ mph in a tight turn and only once had the '13 SG step out on me, that was a spooky experience I fed it a little too much throttle too soon, the 16 RG high centers on the bracket before the board touches.

Again not criticizing this is just post wreck analysis to see what you need to do different... other than slowing down a little more.
Ha! Having no real ego, I actually did a good amount of this during the ride home. I've ground down the pegs on the Wide Glide and scraped the exhaust shield a good number of times on this Street Glide in the past. Twice I can remember I've learned a 'tad' too far and felt the back end slip out. You're right, it's definitely not a fun feeling when your plans didn't really work out, haha. In this case (as embarrassing as it would it, wish I had a GoPro), I didn't drop my speed fast enough and subsequently didn't get into the 'serious' leaning until late in the turn. Compensating for this, and not wanting to hit the brakes harder in the turn already, I tried to lean with the bike more (thinking that I don't really care about a more marred-up exhaust shield), and apparently I leaned far enough that the back end slipped out. I recall hearing the right-exhaust shield began to grind and losing traction in the curve, and beginning to slide towards the apex of the curve, rather than were I actually wanted to go.

If I had slowed down, even just a tad, began to turn in the curve earlier, or even if I had thought about it, taken advantage of no oncoming traffic and utilized the other lane to continue a safer turn, it would have maybe had a more slightly favorable outcome. Luckily my lesson learned didn't have a terrible outcome all around.

Be safe!

Old 06-29-2016, 05:34 PM
Jason Oates
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mr.Softy
Just asking here. When you tried to lift the bike did you do so with your back to the bike with one hand on the right handle grip and the other just under the seat?
Only asking as that is the suggest way I have seen demonstrated. It doesn't look like there is much room between the bike and the guard rail so lifting may not have been possible like that?
Man what a free workout that was trying to lift that beast. It's funny you mention this, I almost reached for the handlebars right after and then thought "hell no!". Taking a brief moment, I realized that I should do this correctly. I put my butt into the seat, planted my feet against the pavement, grabbed the handlebar and attempted to "walk" it back upright. ....I didn't get very far. And yeah, the guard rail would have been interesting if I got it up (either slapping into the tank or engine guard if I got it up). I also tried to pull the front wheel out away from the guard rail; that worked a tad but obviously I couldn't move the rear end. That's a heavy girl to move indeed!

Old 06-29-2016, 05:58 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Oates
Ha! Having no real ego, I actually did a good amount of this during the ride home. I've ground down the pegs on the Wide Glide and scraped the exhaust shield a good number of times on this Street Glide in the past. Twice I can remember I've learned a 'tad' too far and felt the back end slip out. You're right, it's definitely not a fun feeling when your plans didn't really work out, haha. In this case (as embarrassing as it would it, wish I had a GoPro), I didn't drop my speed fast enough and subsequently didn't get into the 'serious' leaning until late in the turn. Compensating for this, and not wanting to hit the brakes harder in the turn already, I tried to lean with the bike more (thinking that I don't really care about a more marred-up exhaust shield), and apparently I leaned far enough that the back end slipped out. I recall hearing the right-exhaust shield began to grind and losing traction in the curve, and beginning to slide towards the apex of the curve, rather than were I actually wanted to go.

If I had slowed down, even just a tad, began to turn in the curve earlier, or even if I had thought about it, taken advantage of no oncoming traffic and utilized the other lane to continue a safer turn, it would have maybe had a more slightly favorable outcome. Luckily my lesson learned didn't have a terrible outcome all around.

Be safe!
It's all good trust me I've made some spectacular mistakes as well in the past,you did everything you could to try and make it through, you didn't give up and your instinct was to keep it on your side of the yellow line. That says a lot about your ability as a rider. At least you didn't come in here and give the I laid it down on purpose to keep from hitting the guard rail line...

Quick Reply: Rider down - but all is well!