General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Solo?

Old 06-30-2016, 06:52 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Touring Solo?

All of my longer (1 week +) tours over the years have been with at least one riding buddy and sometimes two. My wife is great on long day rides, but I've never convinced her to tour with me. (She has flown to destinations and ridden around with me when I arrived and might this time.)

How many of you tour solo? I am giving serious thought to heading to the Rockies by myself. That is at least 3 long days on the superslab just to get there. Do you find that you lose concentration/get bored etc.

Any advice from those of you that have done long rides by yourselves?

Last edited by TKDKurt; 06-30-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:58 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,498 Likes on 6,629 Posts

An advantage of riding by yourself is you can set your own pace & stop whenever you want.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:08 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I like riding solo. You can pace your day the way you want without any issues. Get up and leave when you want, stop and sight see, eat or just keep riding if it's that kind of day. Sometimes I would like company at night after the ride. Of course with everything going to heck in a bucket these days it'd be safer to travel with another rider.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:13 PM
rjjj629
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

I always tour solo and the points made so far are the best parts of it. I like to tour solo mainly because I hate people... all people.

I don't tend to lose concentration or get bored too much, but every once in a while it happens. I'll try and see if a short stop or a meal will break up the boredom and bring the concentration back. If that fails, I'll get off the super slab for a few hours and find secondary roads going the right direction.

The little side routes usually end up being the highlights of the trip.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:14 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Firenailer
I like riding solo. You can pace your day the way you want without any issues. Get up and leave when you want, stop and sight see, eat or just keep riding if it's that kind of day. Sometimes I would like company at night after the ride. Of course with everything going to heck in a bucket these days it'd be safer to travel with another rider.

This. I do ride solo most of the time. Its good to have a partner though.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:17 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 429 Likes on 176 Posts

One item on my bucket list is to ride all of the lower 48 states before I retire. Right now I have 45 states under my belt. I need Mich, Washington and Oregon. I live in upstate NY and work remotely for a company in NW Arkansas.

Recently, the company I work for changed our time off policy so now I get 36 days off this year. I have been thinking about a trip to Cali, Washington and Oregon. I can ride from NY to Arkansas in two days, on the weekend, work a week from Arkansas and then take two - three weeks vacation and head west. That would give me plenty of time to ride up the Pacific Highway thru Cali, Wash and Oregon and then take a leisurely ride back to Arkansas via the Northwest.

I don't mind riding myself however I do have a bit of a hard time hanging out by myself at night in a hotel or at a KOA campground but I am considering a trip myself early September this year.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:22 PM
Skogdog
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I love it. I know lots of folks from many states and try to arrange a meal or stay over every couple days to break things up a bit. 200 or 600 mile day is your choice. I like to put the full 200+ miles on each tankful of fuel...not too many like to do that.....

Old 06-30-2016, 07:32 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Over the years I've done far more solo trips than group rides. Just recently got home from a solo trip up thru the Smokey Mtns and VA. I simply enjoy the solitude.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:33 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I tour extensively every year solo. No issues as I keep my goal in sight and have over 60 years riding with extreme defensive driving practices.

I found that few want to go the distance that I want to do each day or only stop when the fuel light comes on. Skip lunch.

Everyone has a riding style and it is not comfortable if they don't match. I had difficulties with riding long tours with my two sons in the past. They didn't understand the title Dad out ranked them.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:44 PM
NYC.streetkid
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

traveling solo is my norm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Touring Solo?