General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The MoCo is okay with me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 07:58 PM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
Default The MoCo is okay with me!

So, I'll try to keep this short... But, I'm not really known for that.

I was informed about the American Heroes Ride Free program while in an MSF riding class. The gist is HD will give veterans, active duty and first responders a riding class at the dealership or give you a gift card for the value of a class you've successfully completed during 2016.

So, I dropped into a dealer not too far from me (that has a less than stellar reputation), knowing I was one piece of paper short... and was told, yeah, just bring that paper back and you're good to go. Dropped back in a few weeks later, with all my papers and was told by a different employee/manager combo, that they did not participate. To say I was a bit irked, is an understatement. This dealership is about a mile from a major military base and the area is full of veterans and first responders. AND, they make a big deal over the Ride to the Wall and make a large bit of dough off of it every year. Plus, it was not really a short drive to get there, about an hour.

I was pretty plain in my language and not very quiet about the fact that I was not happy about returning to a different story... I also announced that had I known that they didn't support veterans programs, I would never spend another penny in their dealership. I turned and walked out. I was not profane, or overly loud, but I was not quiet.

The salesguy chased me down to my car, promised he'd get me straight. I sat at a desk on the sales floor while he talked to two different managers before coming back and telling me they needed to call HD Corporate to find out what they were responsible for. He promised to call me before 5 PM... But, didn't get back to me until the next day.

I wasn't a block down the road when I was on the phone to a dealer an hour from my home in the opposite direction. I got a girl who was new, but had heard of the program. She asked to put me on hold, was one for a couple of minutes. When she came back on the phone she gave me the list of documents I needed, and said, come on in, we'll be glad to take care of you!

So, Father's Day the wife and son and I drove down to the second dealer and I burned through the $270 card... which I had in my hand within five minutes of walking through the door.

The following Friday, I get a piece of mail from the first dealer... Containing a gift card... for $270. I've held onto it, I didn't want to cheat HD out of anything. But, I have a few things I'd like for the bike. I also am not being overly excited about login back to Dealership #1.... or get in trouble, catch some grief, etc.

So, I called Harley today. I explained everything to them. Got put on hold for couple of minutes. When the nice woman came back on the phone, the first thing she did was apologize for the first dealership turning me away. She said that it never should have happened, that all dealers participate in the program and I never should have been treated like that. Then, she said, 'enjoy your second gift card'.

So, I know the first dealer screwed the pooch. I'm sure HD is gonna be ultimately responsible for the dough. But, the MoCo stepped up and did a good customer service thing. They have certainly reinforced my love of the company. I'll be honest, had they said, sorry, we can't honor the second card, I woulda been bummed, but not upset. It isn't their screw up.

But, at the same time, I might as well grab what I can....

The following users liked this post:
JakeUSAF (06-30-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 12:22 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Smart business practice on the MoCo's part.

Sending someone a $270 gift card to save a potential $27k bike sale loss.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:17 AM
Axis39
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Next In Line
Smart business practice on the MoCo's part.

Sending someone a $270 gift card to save a potential $27k bike sale loss.
Yup, in my world $270 goes a long way.... To the MoCo, it's a drop of dew on a gnat's ***. But, the good will has already gone a long way!

Old 07-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Ibfuelish
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

In times when even good hearted dealerships are going out of business, having a store manager with his head so far up his butt is unconscionable. If I was an exec at MOCO, I would be visiting that dealership very stealthy and see what kind jack wagon is running the place. If I confirmed that kind of stupidity is going on, I'd yank every bike from that dealership and tell them to go get a BMW dealership.